I get so many questions and e-mails about blogging (which honestly I have no idea why… I’m NO pro), so I thought I’d share a few things I have learned over the past year in my top 10 series!
1. Download windows live writer here! You will thank me later! It gives you SO many more options than blogger. Plus it’s free! I love how you can add pictures wherever you want and that you are able to choose the fonts you want to use! This is the way to go when blogging! It also saves me A LOT of time!
2. Set aside a certain time for blogging. Blogging can become addictive… because let’s face it, there are SO many great blogs out there! However I try to blog only when my kiddos are asleep and spend less than 2 hours a day on the computer. This includes time for posting, checking e-mails, FB and reading other blogs. I do have to admit the last few months with a newborn I broke these rules… It’s easy to just get comfy on the couch (when you have no energy) and cuddle my baby or nurse while surfing blogs. However my energy is back now and I’ve been tackling some fun projects that I’m excited to show you. I just need to find time to post them!!
3. Make your blog more user friendly. A lot of times I’ll find a blog that looks great but I can’t find anything they’ve posted about, so I end up leaving. There’s no way I have time to push the “older posts” button a million times, so it makes it a lot easier when they have a search bar. It also is great to have tabs or pictures on your side bar that spotlight your favorite projects. I found a great post on Funky Junk that helps make your blog a little more user friendly as well.
4. If you want to grow your blog start linking your projects up. People aren’t going to just find your blog- there are millions out there! I don’t always have time to link up my projects, but a lot of the time I’ll link it up to at least one or two different blogs. Here is my list of link parties…there are thousands more! Just Google it. lol
Another good place to list your blog is on all the major search engines. This way your projects can be found easier.
5. Another good way to gain readers is by commenting! This is the best way to find new blogging friends! When you like someone’s project, comment and tell them so. Who doesn’t love getting comments? I know lately I have been horrible at commenting and responding to e-mails, but I promise to do better in the New Year. :)
6. Do not start your blog to earn money. I started this blog because I wanted to share my love for crafting, and had no idea you could make money blogging. Sure it’s a nice incentive to keep it up now, but that is definitely not why I started this blog. Many people have asked me about this and the one thing I tell them is Start a blog about something you love doing and share that talent with others!
7. Spend some time getting to know Darren at Pro Blogger. He KNOWS what he’s talking about! He has so many great tips for new bloggers.
8. Get involved with social networks. This is a great way to connect with your readers and also to grow your readership.
9. Be Unique! The posts that got the most hits this year were from projects I created that I had never seen before! Think outside the box… let your inner creative juices flow! ;) Sure I get ideas from people all the time… but get creative! This is the best way to get featured! Also don’t forget to take great pictures!!
10. Most importantly Have FUN!! I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started this blog a year ago, but my only regret is not starting it sooner!
If I forgot something you’ve found helpful feel free to leave that in the comments.
And because every post should have at least one picture…. The Chocolate key board!!
**wishing this was my key board right now….**
Okay now that I’ve shared a few tips I’ve learned from this past year I thought it would be fun to open up form spring to you if you’re wondering anything I haven’t covered. If you have any questions for me … it can be anything, you can ask me here. It can be anonymous if you’d like. Or you can send me an e-mail at iheartnaptime (at) Gmail (dot) com.
I’ll put a post together later in the week of all the questions. I can’t promise I’ll know the answers to everything, but I’ll try my best! Have fun… ask away!