I have a great project to share with you today. If you haven’t ever been to a Habitat Re-store, find one in your area and go check it out…soon! It is a treasure trove–full of items just ready to be refinished, recycled, and refurbished. I could spend hours there (and I do!), just browsing and imagining all the fantastic projects that are possible.
A few weeks ago, I found the most fabulous shutters for $8, and then it was just a matter of deciding where I wanted them to go. Since I was in the process of decorating the laundry room, and there was a big empty wall that needed to be filled, I thought it would be the perfect spot.
Drab to Fab Shutters
My computer died a few days ago, and although I have a new one up and running, all of my before and process pictures are gone for now (hopefully to be recovered later), so I’m sorry I don’t have any to show you today! The shutters actually started out as a cream color, which saved me a ton of time, plus a couple coats of paint. I wanted them to be black, but with some cream showing through, along with the wood. Here’s what I did:
1. Wiped down the shutters to remove dust, lint, and cobwebs.
2. I sprayed them black, using Rustoleum’s flat black spray paint. It took one full coat, with some touch-ups.
3. Next came the power sander. I was pretty liberal on these shutters, taking quite a bit of the black paint off until I could see the cream showing through, and in some spots clear down to the original wood.
4. Once I was finished sanding, I took a lint-free cloth and dusted them off well. Normally this is when I would use a stain to give it an even more aged look (Minwax Dark Walnut), but it actually didn’t need it. For further aging, a hammer & chains work well to get some dents and chips in it.
5. Done! I hung them on the wall, then added the wreath. I love it!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial today–it was a pleasure to be here. Please stop by brown paper packages and say hi…I would love to see you!
Thanks so much for having me, Jamielyn!