Homemade Suckers – a Fun Halloween Treat!
Homemade suckers – a fun Halloween treat and one all kids will love!
Ever wonder how to make those adorable homemade suckers? Well, today I’m going to show you how to make them at home! They are actually easier than you may think. The possibilities are endless with this recipe, too. You could add different colors and use sucker molds to make fun shapes.
I found this recipe in the Kids’ Treats book by Katie from Made to be Momma (one of our awesome contributors)! The book has 50 EASY and extra special treats to make with your little ones. My kids absolutely love this book and have already bookmarked the next treat to make.
Yield: 24 suckers
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Line a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Lay out the sticks next to the pan and have sprinkles opened.
- Combine the sugar, karo syrup and water in a medium sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil candy mixture for 5 to 7 minutes, or until a candy thermometer reaches 310ºF.
- Turn off the heat and then stir in the extract.
- Using a small cookie scoop, or Tablespoon, scoop the mixture and then pour onto the pan. Place the stick in the middle of the circle immediately and then decorate with sprinkles. I like to work one at a time. They do harden fast, so move quickly.
- Let lollipops cool completely, about 15 minutes, and then carefully remove from the pan. Store in a cool place.
Make sure to clean pan immediately with hot water, so you don't end up with a sticky mess.
You can also use food coloring and sucker molds, lots of possibilities!
Note: Candy making can be dangerous. I would not advise to have your kids help with the actual cooking. I let mine help pour in the ingredients before the heat was on and then help with the decorating after the suckers had cooled a bit.
My kids loved these and had fun sharing them with their friends! We wrapped them in little candy bags and tied on some twine. :)
Looking for more treats to make with your kids? You’ll love these too: