Crispy and sweet cinnamon apple chips baked in the oven. Such an easy, healthy and delicious snack idea made with just 3 ingredients!
This is one of my favorite healthy apple recipes to enjoy in the fall. I’m all about guilt-free desserts and these chips are high on my list, as well as my cinnamon oat baked apples or my easy crockpot apple butter with no sugar added.
It’s almost fall and I’m ready for all the boots, sweaters, pumpkin cookies, hot chocolate and apple desserts. We love apples around here and eat them almost every day. I buy several pounds every week just for my kids to snack on or throw into their lunch boxes. But sometimes they can get a bit boring. It’s fun to change things up and help my kids out by giving them something new to take in their lunch boxes. How do you spice apples up? Baked cinnamon apple chips!
Oh my word, you guys. When you make this recipe, your house will smell AWESOME. It’s like inviting fall into your home! Not to mention the sweet and crispy taste of these yummy apple chips. There is so much flavor packed into each chip, you’ll feel guilty eating them because they taste like dessert. The perfect healthy snack to grab on-the-go, throw into lunch boxes or just to snack on while watching TV. They are amazing!
Only 3 ingredients!
- Apples: This recipe is perfect to make after you go apple picking. Such a great way to use them up! Any variety that’s sweet and crisp will work. Some of my favorites are fuji, honey crisp, Jonathan and Melrose.
- Cinnamon: I love the flavor that cinnamon adds! The spice from the cinnamon mixed with the sweetness from the sugar and maple syrup is such a delicious combination!
- Sweetener: I like to add a few Tablespoons of sugar or maple syrup to give them a sweeter, more caramelized taste. If using maple syrup, make sure to use the real deal – no pancake syrup!
How to make apple chips in oven
I used to think you needed a dehydrator in order to make fruit chips. Nope! You can easily bake apple chips in the oven. Just follow the simple steps below.
- SLICE. Preheat oven to 225º F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice apples and then lay out on top of baking sheets (make sure they don’t touch).
- MIX. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Then sprinkle the mixture over the tops of the apples. If using maple syrup, simply brush the tops.
- BAKE. Place both baking sheets in the prepared oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Flip apples over and continue baking for 1 more hour, until the apples are crispy.
- Slice the apples thin. The thinner they are, the quicker they’ll cook and the more crispy they’ll get. It’s important to cut them into same sized slices too, so that they evenly cook in the oven. If you have a mandoline, you can use that instead of a knife if preferred.
- Spread in a single layer. Make sure none of the slices are touching and spread them out evenly on your baking sheets. This way they don’t stick together and all of the outsides get crispy and delicious.
- Cook low and slow. The key to getting perfectly crispy baked apple chips is to bake them at a low heat (225º F) and cook them for several hours (about 2 1/2). No need to use a fancy dehydrator to make these – the oven works just fine!
Let the chips cool completely before storing. Then place any leftovers in an airtight container or bag and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
More delicious apple recipes:
Cinnamon Apple Chips
- Preheat oven to 225ºF. Lay out the apple slices on two parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Then sprinkle the mixture over the tops of the apples. If using maple syrup, simply brush the tops of the apples.
- Place both baking sheets in the prepared oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Flip apples over and continue baking for 1 more hour, until the apples are crispy. Let cool and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Enjoy!