Delicious bacon wrapped dates made with just 3 simple ingredients. This easy appetizer is the perfect balance of sweet and savory!
I happen to believe that anything wrapped in bacon is exponentially better. And it seems many others think so too, since bacon appetizers are usually the first gone at a party. This recipe is always a popular one, as well as bacon wrapped bread bites and jalapeno poppers.
With the Super Bowl coming up, I thought I’d share one of the easiest (and most delicious!) appetizer recipes out there. Bacon wrapped dates are always a a huge hit at parties and have a wonderful sweet and savory combo. The best part? Only 3 ingredients!
The sweet dates are stuffed with a tangy goat cheese and wrapped in a savory piece of bacon. What’s not to love? My kids prefer them without cheese, so I always make half the batch plain. Sometimes I’ll even add in an almond for an extra crunch. They are so simple and delicious!
3 simple ingredients
- Bacon: Use thin cut bacon – it’s more flexible and will wrap around the dates easier without breaking.
- Dates: I like to buy pitted dates to make it easier. If you buy medjool dates, make sure to remove the pit beforehand.
- Goat cheese: This is optional, although I love the tangy flavor it adds.
How to make bacon wrapped dates
STUFF. Cut a slit in the top of each date, then press open. Stuff with about 1 teaspoon goat cheese and add an almond in the center if desired. Then close the tops.
WRAP. Wrap each date with a small piece of bacon, then secure with a toothpick. Place the dates on their sides on a lined baking sheet.
BAKE. Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, then flip and bake an additional 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven when bacon is crisp and move to a plate lined with paper towels. Enjoy!
- Line your pan so that any bacon grease can’t get through. It makes the cleanup way easier.
- Soak your toothpicks in water for about 10 minutes before preparing to prevent them from burning.
- Snip a small cut in the corner of the goat cheese packaging and pipe the cheese into the date.
- If you only have thick bacon, use a rolling pin to flatten.
- Make sure to flip half way through so the bacon cooks evenly. Nothing worse than bacon that isn’t cooked all the way.
Below are a few fun variations that taste just as delicious!
- Use prosciutto and Gorgonzola instead of bacon and goat cheese.
- Place an almond on top of the goat cheese for an added crunch.
- Sprinkle a little brown sugar on top of the bacon before baking.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze before serving.
- Use cream cheese instead of goat cheese.
To make in advance
The great thing about bacon wrapped dates is they can be prepped up to 24 hours in advance. Simply stuff and wrap the dates, then place on a baking sheet. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and store in fridge until ready to bake. Then bake according to directions. Easy peasy!
More easy appetizers:
Bacon Wrapped Dates Recipe
- 36 pitted dates
- 1 pound bacon (thin cut) , cut in thirds
- 2 ounces goat cheese
Optional: 36 almonds
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a small knife to cut a slit in the top of each date. Then press open. Stuff about 1 teaspoon of cheese into the date and add an almond to the center if desired. Then press close.
- Wrap each date with a small piece bacon. Secure with a toothpick and then place the dates on their side on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake another 15-20 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to absorb any extra grease.