Tender baked lemon chicken coated in a flavorful lemon butter sauce. An easy 30-minute meal that requires only 7 simple ingredients!
This recipe gets a 5 star review from every member in my family. It’s a tried and true dinner idea that is always included in our monthly rotation. We love to serve this lemon chicken with a side of roasted red potatoes and garlic bread.
This baked lemon chicken is one of our go-to weeknight meals and is always a huge hit at the dinner table. It’s easy, fresh and delicious. I love that it only takes 7 ingredients to make and I usually have everything on hand.
The chicken is made with a lemon butter sauce that is light and so flavorful. I love to add in asparagus or green beans before baking to save time and have less dishes. Plus the lemon sauce cooks into the vegetables adding the perfect flavor. If you really want the lemon flavor to shine, add a slice of lemon on top of each breast before baking and add an extra Tablespoon of lemon to the sauce.
Only 7 ingredients
The beauty of this recipe is that I almost always have the ingredients on hand. That’s what makes this dish a strong contender on days where I haven’t planned out what’s for dinner. It’s easy, quick and made with pantry and fridge basics.
- Chicken breasts
- Lemon pepper
- Lemon juice
How to make baked lemon chicken
PREPARE. Start by preparing the chicken. Pound with a meat tenderizer until it’s about 1/2 inch thick. If the breast is on the thicker side, slice in half to create 2 thinner pieces. Then season with salt and pepper.
SEAR. In a large cast iron skillet or oven safe pan, cook the butter over medium-heat until melted. Add the meat and cook until the edges are lightly brown, about 2 minutes per side.
BAKE. Whisk together the lemon juice, honey and garlic and then pour over chicken. Add green beans or asparagus to the pan if desired. Then bake at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165°F. Garnish with a lemon slice or fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Boost the flavor
Feel free to add some red pepper flakes or extra lemon pepper to give it a little kick. And for even more lemon flavor, add a lemon slice on top of each breast before baking and an additional Tablespoon of lemon juice to the sauce.
Tenderize or slice the chicken
You want the chicken to be about 1/2″ thick. This ensures it will cook quicker and more evenly. I use a meat tenderizer to pound my chicken until the desired thickness is reached. You can also slice the breasts in half if they are on the thicker side.
Add extra veggies
I love to add extra veggies to the pan to make this dish a complete meal. Simply add in veggies like asparagus or green beans right before baking. They cook in the sauce, resulting in amazing flavor!
Spoon the sauce
About halfway through baking, I love to spoon the sauce from the bottom of the pan over the chicken and veggies. This really helps to bring out the flavors. Then right before serving, spoon more sauce on top again.
More chicken dishes:
Lemon Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper , more to taste
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice , 1 lemon
- 1/2 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
Optional: Asparagus or green beans, fresh lemon slices and parsley for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Pound the chicken to about 1/2" thickness. If using thicker breasts, cut in half to create 2 thinner pieces. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a large cast iron skillet (or oven-safe pan) over medium-heat. Once melted, add the meat. Cook each side about 2 minutes, or edges have begun to lightly brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, honey and garlic. Then pour the sauce over the chicken. Add green beans or asparagus if desired. Then bake for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken has reached 165°F. Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken half way through and just before serving.
- Garnish with lemon and parsley if desired. Serve while hot.