Classic Banana Split – One of my family’s favorite weekend desserts that’s so fun and easy to make! Enjoy this banana split dessert by setting up your own ice cream sundae bar with lots of delicious toppings. So yummy!
Happy National Ice Cream Day (tomorrow)! One of my family’s favorite weekend desserts is making a banana split (or even going out and buying one), so you better believe we’ll be celebrating. ;) They’re so much cheaper to make at home though, so I usually try and have the ingredients stocked in the kitchen. Now I know you probably don’t need a recipe for a banana split because you can just add your favorite toppings, but I thought I’d share this classic banana split dessert in case you needed a quick dessert to make this weekend that doesn’t involve baking.
We love setting up an ice cream sundae bar and having friends over too. Makes for a fun night!
David Evans Strickler, a pharmacist in Pennsylvania, invented the first banana-based triple ice cream sundae in 1904 also known as the ‘banana split.’
What goes into a banana split?
If you’ve ever wondered how to make a banana split, I’m going to show you how. It’s SO simple…maybe a little too simple. ;)
- Neapolitan ice cream – the classic split has one scoop of chocolate, one scoop of vanilla, and one scoop of strawberry.
- A banana split in half – I like to cut them in half again, so they’re easier to eat.
- Sauces on top – I like chocolate and caramel sauce (however chocolate, strawberry and pineapple are the original sauces)
- Crushed nuts
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino cherry on top
That’s the basics of a classic banana split. If you’re looking for more ideas for an ice cream sundae bar, below are some of our favorites.
- Hot fudge
- Salted caramel
- Butterscotch topping
- Melted peanut butter
- Strawberry topping
- Whipped cream
- Maraschino cherries
- Candied nuts (or regular)
- Mini marshmallows
- Sliced bananas
- Chopped berries
- Chocolate chips
- Brownie pieces
- Chopped Reese’s
- Candy bar pieces
- Crushed oreos
- Waffle cone pieces
- Chopped pretzels
I’d love to hear what your favorite toppings are. Comment below!
Love this banana split? You’ll like these other easy dessert recipes too:
- Easy baked peaches with cinnamon sugar topping
- S’mores mix easy dessert
- Easy Oreo ice cream cake
- Easy chocolate dipped strawberries
One of my family's favorite weekend desserts that's so fun and easy to make! Enjoy this dessert by setting up your own ice cream sundae bar with lots of delicious toppings. So yummy!
- 2 bananas (peeled & cut in half, then split in half again)
- 6 scoops neapolitan ice cream (two scoops of chocolate, two scoops of vanilla, and two scoops of strawberry)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- 4 tablespoons whipped cream
- 2 maraschino cherries (with stems)
- crushed nuts (optional)
Place banana in bowl and put ice cream scoops in between the banana slices. Then assemble with all remaining toppings. Serve immediately and enjoy!