Thyme Butterfly Cake Topper – an elegant and easy DIY to dress up a cake for any occasion!
Hi Friends! It’s Norma, from Paint Me Pink with another fun DIY for you. Lately I’ve been baking and decorating a lot of cakes including two back-to-back birthday cakes for my daughter, who turned 5 years old, and for my husband’s 31st birthday.
Now that my baking skills are getting better, I’m not afraid to tackle on a cake or two. However, sometimes I wonder if the only reason why I make cakes is to simply decorate them…
Everything is in full bloom around here, our rose bushes are growing like crazy and my little herb garden is doing great. The smell of different herbs around our home inspired me to create these sweet little butterfly thyme cake toppers. I decided to go with thyme because I like the way the leaves are scattered along the stem, but you can use whatever herb you like for this project.
Did you know that Fairies are said to love thyme? In France and England, people often created a bed of thyme to attract fairies and make them feel at home in the garden. I love finding fun facts about things I use to create projects and thought you would enjoy that since we are talking about thyme.
Now let’s get started!
- Fresh Thyme
- Floral Wire (I used 24 gauge floral wire)
- Stem Wire (I used 18 gauge stems)
- Wire Cutters
- Hot Glue Gun
- Fresh Flowers
- Cut a long piece of floral wire and make two 1 1/2 inch circles. This will be the top part of the butterfly wings. Then make to smaller circles using a separate piece of floral wire.
- Once you have your top and bottom wings, connect them by wrapping around a long piece of floral wire in between both wings.
- Gently wrap around pieces of thyme to your butterfly shape. You can also use a glue gun to secure the ends.
- When you have it looking the way you like, cut the long piece of wire and hot glue the 18 gauge stem wire on the back.
- Add small flowers to your butterfly or leave it as is.. it looks beautiful either way.
This is such a beautiful little DIY that will dress up any cake!
If you love this easy and elegant DIY, you’ll enjoy these, too!