Hi Nap Time readers! I’m Kristy, and I blog over at Sweet Treats & More, my little corner of the web where I share lots of sweet treats and simple, family-friendly meals (that I really try to keep healthy–the meals, not the sweets!) I’m excited to share this yummy recipe for Chicken caprese salad pita pockets today.
I just have to tell you, I really do “heart” nap time. Really. Both my kids are napping as I write this (diet coke in hand of course). As a mother to two busy little boys, nap time really is the only time I get things done (because honestly, I’d much rather watch Parenthood or Grey’s Anatomy than work late at night when the kiddos are in bed)! Can I tell you how much I fear the day nap times go away? My almost-three-year-old has recently been trying hard to take that precious time from me. But lucky for you, I won the battle today;)
Anyways, I’m so excited to be a part of the 2013 Creative Team here at I Heart Nap Time and promise to bring you lots of delicious eats! And I’d love for you to pop over to my site and say hello too!
These Chicken Caprese Salad Pita Pockets is a new favorite of mine, and I especially love eating them for lunch during the week. As a stay at home mom, I find myself getting in a lunch rut, where I eat the same things every day or steal a few bites of the kiddos’ mac and cheese, have a few wheat thins and call it good. Not an ideal lunch, but it happens. These have definitely been a nice change to my lunch routine. Add a few sides and you’ve got a great dinner too. Not to mention pretty healthy. Not to worry, they are husband approved too–he might just need like three of them.
Chicken Caprese Salad Pita Pockets
- 4 whole wheat pita pockets
- 1 cup spring greens
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken breasts (chopped or shredded)
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1/4 cup basil (roughly chopped)
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese (fresh, chopped into cubes or use the mozzarella pearls
- 2 tbsp green onions (chopped)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss everything together in a medium bowl (aside from pitas) making sure everything is evenly coated with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Evenly distribute the salad mixture into the four pita pockets. Enjoy!
I happen to love Caprese Salads. I love basil, love fresh mozzarella cheese, and love tomatoes! Who doesn’t? Adding some fresh spring greens, chicken, and a few seasonings turns one of my favorite appetizers into a delicious and satisfying meal. (If you wanted to though, you could skip the pita pocket and just enjoy this as a salad.)
I’m off to enjoy the rest of nap time…the laundry is calling. ;) Enjoy!