Warm and delicious mini hot dogs wrapped in fluffy crescent rolls seasoned with garlic and parmesan. These pigs in a blanket are such an easy appetizer idea that comes together in just 20 minutes with 5 simple ingredients!
Table of Contents
Quick and Easy Appetizer
This is one of those classic appetizers that the crowd can’t seem to get enough of. It’s a fail-proof recipe and is always a staple at game day parties, along with BBQ meatballs, buffalo chicken dip and bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers. So, so yummy!
I think you all know how much I love easy recipes, and while this potato skins recipe is an appetizer favorite, nothing’s better than something you can throw together in minutes before a party. These pigs in a blanket use crescent rolls from a can to keep them easy, just like in my recipe for pizza with crescent rolls!
This is the classic recipe that everyone loves with a delicious garlic parmesan sauce brushed on top. So yummy and the perfect appetizer or snack!
The garlic parmesan sauce that’s brushed on top of this pigs and a blanket recipe really helps to elevate this simple and classic appetizer. The flavor of the sauce tastes amazing paired with the soft and flaky crescent rolls…your guests will seriously eat these up so quick!
Five Recipe Ingredients
Only five ingredients to make pigs in a blanket appetizer! Quick and easy snack to make that is loved by all ages. Grab these ingredients the next time you are at the grocery store for a simple and delicious snack, appetizer, or lunch for the kiddos!
- Garlic powder: An easy seasoning that is a pantry staple. This hint of garlic takes these smokies to the next level.
- Butter: Melt your butter in the microwave. I used unsalted butter to give more of the garlic powder flavoring.
- Lit’l Smokies: You can’t go wrong with Hillshire brand. These are the most flavorful and full of healthy ingredients compared to other brands.
- Crescent rolls: These are already rolled out into triangles. To cut them smaller, use a pizza cutter to make smaller triangles. This will be the outside layer over the lit’t smokies.
- Parmesan cheese: Everyone loves cheese! Sprinkle parmesan cheese over top each pigs in a blanket on the baking sheet.
How to Make Mini Pigs in a Blanket
Puffed-up pigs in a blanket are so easy to make and have the best combination wrapped together! Simply mix, and cut, then wrap the smokies and watch them puff up in the oven. It is the best combination that everyone loves!
- Mix. What sets this recipe apart from the classic is the delicious garlic sauce on top. To make the sauce, simply mix together the melted butter and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Cut. Next remove the crescent roll dough from the package, then use a pizza cutter to cut each triangle into 4 smaller triangles.
- Wrap. Wrap each of the little smokies inside the dough and place seam side down on a lined baking sheet. Then brush the garlic sauce on top and add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Bake. Bake in the oven at 375°F for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
Tip: To spruce them up a little when entertaining, I will sometimes sprinkle on some sesame seeds or poppy seeds. I also love to make mummy hot dogs every Halloween for my family. My kids are obsessed with them and they are such a fun snack!
Variations for the Best Pigs in a Blanket
Make these pigs in a blanket perfectly with these extra tips and variations while baking. Add in cheese, make the perfect egg wash, or change out the little smokies! Create the best appetizer for you and your family!
- Cheese: You can place a piece of cheese on top of the crescent triangles before rolling up the little smokies, similar to how I did in this pigs in a blanket recipe with cheese.
- Egg wash: Brush the tops with a whisked egg wash recipe. Then sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds before baking.
- Seasoning: Instead of parmesan, add a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning on top.
- Hot dogs: You can use hot dogs instead of little smokies if preferred. Just cut them into thirds before wrapping.
Favorite Sauces for Serving
We love serving them with an easy homemade honey mustard (find recipe in recipe card below). It tastes so yummy and is the perfect compliment. There are so many other sauces that pair wonderfully with them too. Check out a few of our favorites below.
- Honey mustard sauce (or regular mustard)
- BBQ sauce
- Cheese dip
- Buffalo sauce
- Blue cheese dressing
- Garlic aioli
5 star review
“These were a huge hit with my kids! They even helped out making them. Thanks for such a fun recipe.”-Jen
Pigs in blankets are called this because they are made from pigs or sausage that is wrapped in a crescent roll that is known as the blanket.
Yes! They can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 to 4 days long.
To prevent them from becoming soggy, pat them with a paper towel the Lil smokies. This will help wipe away the moisture before wrapping it in the crescent roll.
These are popular for parties! Keep them in a low-heat oven and pull them out when your serving tray is slowly running out. You can even try adding them to a slow cooker on the low setting. Leave the lid off so the pigs in the blanket do not get soggy or wet from sweating in the hot area.
You can easily assemble them in advance, then bake right before serving. Simply wrap the little smokies with the crescent dough, then place on a baking sheet. Cover the pan with foil or plastic wrap, then store in the fridge. When ready to serve, brush the tops with the garlic sauce and sprinkle with parmesan. Then bake according to directions.
Are you looking for more smokies recipes?! Try these three ingredients Lil smokies recipes or these bacon-wrapped smokies for your next party!
More Party Appetizers
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Pigs in a Blanket
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 14 ounce package Hillshire Farms Lit’l Smokies
- 8 ounce package refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Mix together garlic powder and melted butter in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place smokies on a paper towel-lined plate. Cut each crescent triangle into 4 smaller triangles with a pizza cutter.
- Wrap Lit’l Smokies inside the dough and place on a baking sheet seam side down. Brush on garlic butter.
- Sprinkle each pig with parmesan cheese and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
- Whisk 1 egg white and brush on the tops. Then sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds before baking.
- Use a hot dog and cut into thirds if you prefer.
- Place a piece of cheese in before you roll up the dough.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
These are perfect appetizers! A sure hit at parties!
This is such a fun snack idea! My kids will love to make these!
A great classic appetizer! Kids are always devouring these!
Comfort food at it’s finest! My kiddos would love this classic eat.
These look irresistible!
These looks irresistible!
My kids are going to love these!
Very good recipe! My husband just adores such snacks.
I think it’s a great dish for a bachelor party. I will certainly prepare, I want to please both my husband and his friends.
Let them know that he has the best wife :)
Enjoy reading your blog. This is my second time today to enter above info. Make this easy for me!
These looks so cute and tasty!