The perfect holiday craft for your little ones! Leave your house smelling like Christmas with this fun and inexpensive gingerbread playdough.
If you’re looking for a fun craft idea to enjoy with your kids during the holiday season, this is it! We make homemade playdough at least once a month at our house, so I thought…why not make a Christmas version?
This is the perfect indoor activity when it’s raining or snowing outside and will leave your house smelling amazing! It combines all your favorite Christmas flavors and smells just like you took a warm batch of ginger molasses cookies out of the oven.
My kids had so much fun making little gingerbread men with their rolling pins and cookie cutters. The dough is super soft and squishy and is really easy to work with. It’s perfect for kids and even makes a fun and inexpensive gift for your little ones.
Another fun thing about this recipe is that you can mix in red or green food coloring to make it extra festive. Feel free to add one color or multiple colors…it’s up to you! I kept mine all natural and just let the spices do the coloring.
- All-purpose flour
- Iodized salt
- Cream of tartar
- Ground ginger
- Ground cinnamon
- Lukewarm water
- Vegetable oil
How to make gingerbread playdough
Add ingredients to pot. In a large pot, mix together the flour, salt, cream of tartar, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Then add in water and oil. If you’re adding food coloring, add it now.
Cook on stove. Cook over medium-heat, stirring constantly. Keep stirring the dough until it thickens and starts to form a ball shape.
Let cool on wax paper. Remove from heat, then place on wax paper. Let cool a bit, then knead with your hands until the texture is smooth.
If stored in an airtight container, the playdough will stay soft for at least a month, if not longer. It’s perfect to have on hand when the kids are out of school for the holidays or a snow day. It will keep them entertained for hours!
More kids activities to do this winter:
- Christmas Coloring Pages
- Magic Reindeer Food
- 50+ Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Jello Cookie and Playdough
- Homemade Slime Recipe
Gingerbread Playdough Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup iodized salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- food coloring , optional
- Stir together the flour, salt, cream of tartar, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large pot. Next add the water and oil. If you want to add food coloring, mix in the the color now as well. I did not add food color for this playdough.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the dough has thickened and begins to form into a ball.
- Remove from heat and then place onto wax paper. Allow to cool slightly and then knead until smooth. If you’re adding colors after, divide the dough into balls (for how many colors you want) and then add the dough into the quart sized bags. Start with about 5 drops of color and add more to brighten it. Knead the dough, while inside the bag so it doesn’t stain your hands.
- Once it’s all mixed together you’re ready to PLAY. Use cookie cutters and rolling pins and let your kids make different shapes. Store in an airtight container up to 1 month.