These green chile chicken enchiladas are creamy, cheesy and full of flavor! This recipe is absolutely to die for…better than a Mexican restaurant!
Table of Contents
Mexican Green Enchiladas
Creamy green chile chicken enchiladas…cheesy, full of flavor and super satisfying! Believe me when I say these are SO GOOD! This recipe is an absolute favorite on our list and is requested by anyone who tries it.
These enchiladas taste even better than the ones that I order at my favorite authentic Mexican restaurant. We make these at least once a month at our house…sometimes even 2 or 3 times because we love them so much!
These do have a little kick to them, so make sure to omit the chili powder and cumin if you don’t like spicy foods. This recipe is so simple and makes the perfect dish to serve at any occasion!
Find the full printable recipe below.
- Chicken. Using shredded rotisserie chicken is an easy shortcut for making this recipe. You could also make shredded chicken in the instant pot or crockpot. Leftover kalua pork would also taste delicious!
- Tortillas. Flour tortillas are my personal preference, but corn tortillas taste great too. You could even use whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas if you’d like. It helps to soften the tortillas in the microwave for about 20 to 30 seconds before filling them, so that they’re more flexible and easier to roll.
- Cream cheese. Sour cream or Greek yogurt also work great in place of cream cheese.
- Spice. These enchiladas do have a little kick to them. You can omit the chili powder and cumin if you prefer a more mild flavor. Or if you like your food spicy, feel free to use hot green chiles or add in some diced jalapenos.
- Extras. Feel free to add some extra cooked veggies or beans to bulk up the filling a little. Zucchini, fajita veggies, black beans or cilantro lime rice are all great options.
Finish off these green chile enchiladas with any of the delicious toppings below. I love to add some fresh cilantro and an extra squeeze of lime for more flavor. It tastes so fresh and delicious!
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream
- Sliced avocado
- Pico de gallo
- Squeeze of lime
- Cilantro lime crema
- Black olives
How to Make Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- Combine: Combine the shredded chicken, cream cheese, garlic, chili powder, cumin, kosher salt, black pepper, lime juice and diced green chiles in a medium sized bowl.
- Fold: Spoon 3 Tablespoons into each tortilla and roll it up like a burrito. You may also add some xtra cheese inside.
- Bake: Bake the enchiladas until nice and bubbly. If you want the top golden, feel free to broil the last minute (watch carefully).
Yes, you may. They are a little harder to work with, so I recommend microwaving them in a damp paper towel for 15 seconds before rolling. You could also dip the tortillas in the enchilada sauce before rolling.
They are slightly different. Salsa verde is raw (not cooked) and more chunky where enchilada sauce is cooked down and puréed. You can use it if preferred.
We love to serve these enchiladas with black beans and rice. A chopped salad is always a nice addition as well.
I prefer the Las Palmas green enchilada sauce. It does come in a bigger can, so I usually freeze half the sauce in a zip top bag for later.
This is one of my absolute favorite freezer meals! It’s the perfect dish to make in advance for a busy weeknight. Simply prepare the enchiladas in the pan as directed, however hold off on baking. Cover tightly with foil or a lid and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
The night before enjoying, remove from the freezer and place in the fridge overnight to thaw. Then bake according to directions. You may need to bake a few minutes longer (10-15 minutes) since you’re baking from frozen.
More Enchilada Recipes
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 (14-ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 8-10 flour or corn tortillas
- 2-3 cups shredded cooked chicken , about 4 chicken breasts
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can diced green chiles , about 1/2 cup
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice , optional
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese , I prefer a mix of cheddar or pepper jack
Optional toppings: Chopped cilantro, Tomatoes, Olives, Bell peppers, Sour cream, Lime
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Add about 1/3 cup enchilada sauce to the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir chicken, cream cheese, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, lime juice, and green chiles until combined.
- Spoon 3 Tablespoons into each tortilla and roll it up like a burrito. You may also add 1 Tablespoon cheese inside the tortilla, if desired. Place into the pan.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the tortillas and top with shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Top with cilantro and desired toppings, if desired. Serve while warm.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!