Healthy turkey chili recipe
Healthy turkey chili – This easy recipe is hearty and delicious with plenty of flavor! Can easily be made in the slow cooker as well. Nothing beats a bowl of turkey chili on a cold fall or winter day!
Once the weather it’s colder, I crave all types of comforting and delicious soup recipes. This turkey chili recipe is one of my favorites, along with hearty vegetable soup, easy lasagna soup and chicken gnocchi soup.
Healthy turkey chili
This simple turkey chili recipe is made with lean ground turkey, chili seasonings and 3 types of beans. It is perfect on a cold fall evening. We love to top it with all of our favorite toppings including : cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro and chips. It makes it a little less healthy, but oh so yummy. The thing I love about this healthy chili recipe is it’s even better the next day. I’m not a huge fan for leftovers, but this chili turkey I will definitely eat the next day! It is that good.
How to make slow cooker turkey chili
This turkey chili recipe is really easy to make a slow cooker meal. Nothing better than slow cooker turkey chili in the fall!
- Simply follow the instructions, such as cooking the onions and ground turkey up until adding the seasonings.
- Then place the remaining ingredients in the slow cooker with the cooked turkey.
- Cook turkey chili on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
Toppings to add to healthy chili recipe
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced avocado or a dollop of guacamole
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Green or red onions
Healthy turkey chili
Healthy turkey chili - This easy recipe is hearty and delicious with plenty of flavor! Can easily be made in the slow cooker as well. Nothing beats a bowl of turkey chili on a cold fall or winter day!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2-3 Tablespoons chili powder more to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 cups chicken broth depending on how thick you like your chili
- 2 (15 ounces) 15-ounce cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounces) 15-ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounces) 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounces) 15-ounce can white chili beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn canned or frozen, optional
- Optional toppings: cheese sour cream, cilantro, avocados, tortilla chips
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, peppers and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions become translucent. Add in the ground turkey and cook until lightly browned. Drain if needed. Stir in seasonings.
Next add in the chicken broth, tomatoes and beans. Add corn if desired. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes. The longer the better. Taste and add more salt and seasonings if desired.
Ladle into bowls and top with your favorite toppings.
To make this a slow cooker meal, simply follow the instructions up until adding the seasonings. Then place the remaining ingredients in the slow cooker with the cooked turkey. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.