Ice Cream Cake Recipe – A refreshing and delicious Summer dessert that’s perfect for birthdays, graduations and more. Made with only 5 ingredients and so simple to whip up!
What can be better than a dessert with both ice cream AND cake! They are two of my favorites and when combined, make a truly incredible treat. This easy ice cream cake recipe has the best of both worlds and tastes amazing! It’s refreshing, has great flavor and is simple to make. You can’t beat it!
Ice cream cake
There’s nothing better than ice cream cake to celebrate a hot Summer birthday. It’s super refreshing and is always loved by all. This ice cream cake recipe is a spin off from my famous Oreo ice cream cake. However instead of using ice cream sandwiches as the base…I went the more traditional route and used chocolate cake and ice cream. And the end result was fabulous!
The best part about this homemade ice cream cake is that you need only 5 ingredients. It’s super easy to make and ends up looking like you bought it from your local ice cream shop. I love to add some colored sprinkles on top, as well as pipe some extra dollops of whipped cream around the edges. It gives it the perfect festive touch for birthdays, graduations or any type of celebration. So simple and delicious!
Ingredients for ice cream cake
- Prepared cake round: You’ll need a 9-inch cake round that’s already been cooked and cooled. You can buy premade cake rounds from your local bakery at most grocery stores.
- Ice cream: I used vanilla, but feel free to use other flavors like chocolate or strawberry.
- Hot fudge sauce: I love to make a homemade version, but store-bought is great too.
- Cookies: I used Oreo cookies, but chocolate chip cookies would taste delicious too.
- Whipped cream: Can use cool whip if preferred.
How to make an ice cream cake
- Prepare cake round. Prepare one 9″ cake round according to package directions. Let cool, then place in the freezer until ready to use.
- Assemble ice cream portion and freeze. Butter a 9″ spring form pan and spread 1/2 of the ice cream into the pan. Place spoonfuls of hot fudge sauce on top of the ice cream and then sprinkle cookies on top. Swirl the top with a knife, then tap on the counter to smooth out the top. Then spread the rest of the ice cream on top. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours, or until firm.
- Assemble cake, then spread with whipped cream. Place the prepared (and cooled) 9″ cake round onto a cake plate. When the ice cream is firm, release from the spring form on top of the cake round. Then immediately spread with the whipped cream.
- Freeze and then serve. Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then decorate as desired. Serve immediately.
How to decorate a homemade ice cream cake
I like to keep it simple and decorate my ice cream cake with colored sprinkles. I also piped on some whipped cream dollops around the edges. Feel free to decorate how you prefer. You could add more chopped cookies on top and drizzle with hot fudge. Or even add a fun cake topper. So many options!
How do you store ice cream cake?
This ice cream cake can be refrozen…simply store any leftovers in the freezer in an airtight container or bag. Just make sure to refreeze quickly after serving. The cake will keep in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. No need to thaw before enjoying again, although feel free to let it sit out for a couple of minutes before enjoying if you like it on the softer side.
Other favorite party cakes:
- Oreo ice cream cake
- Texas sheet cake
- Chocolate turtle poke cake
- Better than anything cake
- No-bake chocolate lasagna
Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- Prepare one 9" cake round according to package directions. Allow to cool and then place in the freezer until ready to use.
- Butter a 9" Spring form pan. Then spread 1/2 of the ice cream into the pan. Place spoonfuls of the hot fudge sauce on top of the ice cream. Then sprinkle the cookies on top. Swirl the top with a knife. Then tap on the counter to smooth out the top. Then spread the rest of the ice cream on top. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours, or until firm.
- Place the prepared (and cooled) 9" cake round onto a cake plate. When the ice cream is firm, release from the spring form on top of the cake round. Then immediately spread with the whipped cream.
- Place back in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then decorate as desired. Serve immediately.