Soft and tender peanut butter and jelly cookies are reminiscent of the classic sandwich but in delicious cookie form. These peanut butter cookies topped with jam and a vanilla glaze will soon become your new favorite treat!
Table of Contents
A Fun Twist on a Classic
Lately I have been craving PB&J sandwiches with cold milk non-stop. I’ve also been craving cookies, so I thought I would combine my two loves and make some peanut butter and jelly cookies.
Once I perfected the recipe, I was in complete heaven. They are seriously so good. They are a fun twist on the classic chewy peanut butter cookies, with the addition of sweet strawberry jam in the middle like thumbprint cookies but with an added drizzle of powdered sugar icing.
They remind me of thumbprint cookies, but with that yummy PB&J flavor.
These would be the perfect cookies to make with your kids during the holiday season and share it with someone in need of a little love. They would also be great for a cookie exchange or to add to your Christmas dessert board. Everyone always loves them!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies Ingredients
These thick and buttery peanut butter cookies are topped with strawberry preserves and perfect for a lunchbox treat, afternoon snack, or anytime you need a PB&J fix!
- Salted butter: Softened butter, so plan accordingly to bring it to room temperature. If you used unsalted butter, you will need to add a pinch of salt to the dough.
- Sugar: You will need both brown sugar and granulated sugar for tender cookies that have crisp edges.
- Creamy peanut butter: I used Jif, but you can use your favorite brand, I would avoid using natural peanut butter, though.
- Egg: For binding the dough together.
- Baking soda: This gives cookies a slight rise.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract is always best for taste.
- All purpose flour: Gives structure to the cookies.
- Strawberry jam: I often use homemade strawberry jam but this I used Smucker’s.
- Glaze (optional): Powdered sugar, milk or heavy cream and vanilla extract.
How to Make Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
I adapted this recipe from my favorite peanut butter blossoms. It is so simple to make and they are so soft and tender. Sometimes I will make them rolled in sugar or with chocolate on top, but making them with jam in the center is definitely my new favorite.
- Make peanut butter cookie dough: Cream together your butter and sugar, then add in peanut butter, egg and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add in flour and baking soda and mix until just combined.
- Roll dough into balls: I love to use medium cookie scoop that is about 1 1/2 Tbsp to roll the dough into balls. Place on a prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Add jam: Place a thumbprint in the middle of each cookie dough ball. My trick to getting the perfect thumbprint, is to use a teaspoon. Fill the space with jam.
- Bake: Bake at 350°F for 9 – 11 minutes. Cool on the pan for a few minutes, then let cool completely on a wire rack before glazing.
- Jelly: Feel free to use strawberry preserves or other varieties of your favorite jelly, such as raspberry jam or grape jelly.
- Glaze: You can definitely leave them plain with jam on top (they are plenty sweet), or you can add a simple powdered sugar icing to dress them up. A cream cheese glaze would also taste delicious on top as well.
- Sugar: Roll the cookie dough balls in granulated sugar before baking for another hint of sweetness.
- Easy way to glaze: Place the glaze in a zip top bag and snip the top off, to make it easier to drizzle the glaze on.
- Stuffed cookies: You will need two pieces of cookie dough roughly about the same size. Flatten one piece of dough and place about 1/2 tablespoon or less of jelly on the cookie dough, top with another flattened cookie, pinch the seams together to seal and bake. It becomes the ultimate stuffed cookie!
- More jam: After baking add some more jam to fill in the space where the jam ‘melted’ into the cookie.
- Don’t over bake: Or you will have dry crumbly cookies. Remove them from the oven when the edges are just set. They will still appear soft.
Sure! While I feel like creamy is best, crunchy peanut butter will add nice texture.
The sky’s the limit! Whatever jelly or jam you use on your sandwich, you can use it on these cookies. Strawberry jam or grape jam are classic, but there are so many flavors to try from blackberry to apricot.
No you don’t need to chill these cookies. Just make your dough and bake, hallelujah! You probably have all the ingredients on hand anyways.
How to Store Peanut Butter Jelly Cookies
- To store: Once the cookies have cooled, store in a single layer in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Once they have cooled, store in a single layer in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Once frozen, you can stack them in the container.
More Delicious DessertsBrowse all
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Then add in the peanut butter, egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add in flour and baking soda and mix just until combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or about 1 1/2 Tablespoons, scoop the dough onto the baking sheets about two inches apart. Use a teaspoon to press a hole in the center of the dough and fill the centers with 1 teaspoon of jam.
- Bake 9-11 minutes, or just until the edges firm up. They should still be a little soft. Allow to cool on pan for 2 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- For the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar, cream and vanilla. Then drizzle over the cookies once they have cooled. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!