Hi! Happy start of Summer! I am Britany from 32 Turns and I am thrilled to be sharing a recipe with you today here at I Heart Nap Time! I love this place in blogland that Jamielyn has created!
I also love a good salad! When I say “good” salad I mean one LOADED with all kinds of yummy ingredients. I like it super filling and topped with a delicious dressing. This Southwest Summer Salad fills all of these requirements, plus it makes a lot so I can eat it for a few meals, or serve it up to a large group. The salad is also great because I don’t have to turn on the oven to prepare dinner! This is major, I try to cook things in the summertime that do not require the oven, no way do I need that extra heat in my house! I know you feel me on this!
Here is the cast of characters:
3 heads romaine, bowtie pasta, 1 to 2 cans of chicken, can of corn, can of black beans, 3 tomatoes, bacon/bacon bits, cheddar cheese, tortilla strips, ranch dressing, southwest seasoning
Cook the pasta, drain and set aside to cool.
Drain and rinse the corn and beans, and mix them together in a bowl.
Drain the chicken. I use 2 cans, but 1 works great too! The number of cans only depends on how meaty you like your salad! Chop up the chicken into smaller pieces using a fork or potato masher.
Cut up the tomatoes and lettuce. For tips on cutting up these veggies you can see my post HERE.
Fry up some bacon and chop into bits, or buy bacon bits. I didn’t have any bacon bits in my house this time so real bacon it was!
To make the dressing, take a bottle of ranch and mix in a Southwest Seasoning. There are several different kinds that work great. Most grocery stores sell some kind of southwest or zesty seasoning that lists it as great for salads. You can add as much as you want, just remember the more you add, the spicier it gets ! I like mine with a KICK so I add quite a bit. ;)
Go ahead and mix all your ingredients, top with tortilla strips and cheese and ENJOY!
Note: Sometimes I need to prepare this dish in advance. In order to avoid a soggy salad I only mix the lettuce, pasta, and chicken together. Everything else I place in separate containers. That way nothing gets soggy, and the salad is great for later that day or the next day.
This Southwest Summer Salad is one of my family’s favorites, we make it a TON each summer. It is the perfect meal for Summer nights and is definitely a must try!
Southwest Summer Salad
- 3 heads romaine lettuce
- 8 oz bowtie pasta (cooked & cooled)
- 12.5 oz canned chicken breast (1 can; feel free to use 2 cans if you'd like more chicken)
- 15 oz corn (1 can, drained & rinsed)
- 15 oz black beans (1 can, drained & rinsed)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 bacon slices
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup tortilla strips
- 1 cup ranch dressing (more or less depending on preference)
- 1-2 tbsp Southwest seasoning
- Cut lettuce and rinse.
- Cook pasta, drain and set aside to cool.
- Drain and rinse corn and black beans, mix in together in a bowl, set aside
- Drain canned chicken, dump into a bowl, use a fork or potato masher to break up chunks.
- Dice tomatoes.
- Cook Bacon and chop into bits.
- Grate cheddar cheese.
- For dressing: take ranch dressing and add to taste 1-2 tbsp of your chosen seasoning. Chill in fridge for several hours before serving so the seasoning can really soak in!
- Mix all together, top with tortilla strips and serve!
I am Britany from 32 Turns. I am a fast moving, fast talking lady who loves to cook, create and shop for great bargains! Creating is often the only thing that keeps me in my right mind. :) I am a mom to 2 beautiful girls and a wife to one sweet husband. I hope you will come see me in my little corner of blog land where you will find me sharing lifestyle tips, crafts, free printables, and yummy recipes. I try to keep things sane but I can’t help the bit of crazy that always sneaks through!
THANKS Britany for sharing this fun project during our Hello Summer Event! Click HERE to see more ideas from the event.