Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Bread
Cheese stuffed french bread is made with a loaf of homemade French bread (or whatever loaf you’ve got on hand), stuffed with shredded chicken tossed in buffalo sauce and cream cheese mix then baked until crispy and cheesy all in one bite!
It’s so easy to make which is perfect for any time there’s a crowd coming over or when I need to whip up a quick snack for the kids. I say snack, but believe me, between our entire family we can get through an entire loaf and be satisfied. Kind of the way we devour French bread pizza!
Give me a salad on the side and call it a day. Easy weeknight family dinner idea for the win!
Best Bread to Use
Homemade french bread is always going to be my go-to for this recipe. However, on days when I am short on time, I will pick up bread from the bakery or grocery store, and here’s what I look for:
- Not too soft. The loaf must be sturdy enough to hold all of the fillings without getting soggy.
- Not too narrow. Otherwise, you won’t have enough room to fill it up! Look for a wider loaf, or even a round boule-shaped bread would do.
- If it’s very fresh, wait until the next day to make it. Day-old (slightly stale) bread works best.
- Using a sharp knife to cut neatly around the top of your bread will make things easier for you. Especially if your crust is a little crustier.
- Soften your cream cheese ahead of time so it’s easier to mix.
- Grate your cheese rather than buying the package of pre-shredded cheese. It melts way better!
- Make this gluten-free and use your favorite loaf of gluten-free bread. The same recommendations apply!
- Hallow out the bread but don’t discard it! Use it to make homemade croutons or breadcrumbs.
- Swap the buffalo sauce for BBQ sauce for a BBQ chicken version.
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love:
Stuffed French Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. On the top of the french bread, slice about 2 inches deep. Remove the top of the bread and hallow out the center. Save the scraps for croutons or breadcrumbs.
- Combine the cream cheese and buffalo sauce. Mix until combined. Then stir in the chicken, 1/2 cup cheese and garlic powder. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the filling into the hallowed bread. The add the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let bread rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.