You can’t beat the flavor of a creamy, tangy, homemade tartar sauce to serve with fish and chips or any other seafood favorites. Making it from scratch couldn’t be easier and it tastes way better than anything store-bought!
Table of Contents
Easy Tartar Sauce
This homemade tartar sauce recipe is so much better than any store-bought stuff. It tastes much fresher and it doesn’t have that oily aftertaste that sometimes happens when the jarred sauce has been sitting for too long.
It’s so easy to make from scratch because the ingredients are simple and it takes no time at all to whip up a batch. We also love to make our own garlic aioli and honey mustard sauce for the same reasons!
We love to pair this easy sauce with fish recipes like oven baked tilapia and alternate it with this sauce for fish tacos which is similar but has a kick from sriracha.
What is Tartar Sauce?
It is a popular creamy mayonnaise-based condiment that often comes with an order of crispy fish and chips. It’s tangy, zesty, and flecked with bits of dill pickle and seasoned with salt and pepper. It’s also made with herb and lemon juice which brighten it up. It compliments most fried foods, but we also love it with baked fish and sheet pan salmon.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Mayonnaise: Use real mayo for best taste.
- Dill pickle: Your dill pickle needs to be finely chopped.
- Fresh herbs: Chopped fresh dill or parsley.
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice will add the best flavor.
- Sugar: Balances the flavor.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances the taste.
- Use either fresh dill or fresh parsley. Both will add a herbaceous note.
- Drop a teaspoon dijon mustard for a kick.
- Add in onion or garlic powder for additional seasoning.
- Some folks love to add salty capers to their sauce.
- You can replace the chopped dill pickles with dill pickle relish or even sweet relish for a slight change in the flavor profile.
How to Make Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir it.
- Season it to your liking. Do a little taste test along the way.
- Keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week. Serve it with your favorite fish and seafood dishes.
Favorite Ways to Use Tartar Sauce
This homemade sauce is one you’ll end up using on more than you can imagine! While it is most popular with fish, it’s a condiment like any other is great for dipping French fries, as a topping on hamburgers or a dip for veggies!
- Fish sticks
- Crispy lemon baked fish
- Tilapia fish tacos
- Baked sweet potato fries
- Homemade hamburgers (with a homemade bun of course!)
- Fish sandwiches
- Baked chicken tenders
- Homemade French fries
Common ingredients include mayonnaise, lemon juice, pickles and herbs. Sometimes mustard or capers are included.
While lemon juice is preferred you could try substituting it with vinegar.
You can store your homemade sauce for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
No this is not recommended because it has mayonnaise and the ingredients will separate when thawed.
Store covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Stir before serving to incorporate ingredients again. Do not freeze.
Looking for more homemade sauces? Try this Tzatziki sauce, cilantro lime crema or our favorite Chick-fil-A sauce!
More Homemade Sauce RecipesBrowse all
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- ½ cup mayo
- ⅓ cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 Tablespoon chopped dill , or parsley
- 1-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice , to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until combined. Add more seasonings to taste.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for one week. Serve with your favorite fish.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
This sauce was amazing. It was the perfect match for dinner!
wow – I will never ever buy tartar sauce from the store. this homemade recipe is so much better!
Yay! I am so happy to hear that :)
Totally agree! There’s nothing like creamy tangy tartar sauce! Love how easy this homemade recipe is and it’s sooo much more delicious than a store bought jar one.