You can’t beat the flavor of a creamy, tangy, homemade tartar sauce. It’s a popular condiment choice for much more than fish and chips and making it from scratch couldn’t be easier!
Easy Tartar Sauce
This homemade tartar sauce is so much better than any store-bought stuff. It tastes much fresher and it doesn’t have that oily aftertaste that sometimes happens when the jarred sauce has been sitting for too long. It’s so easy to make from scratch because the ingredients are simple and it takes no time at all to whip up a batch!
What is Tartar Sauce?
Tartar sauce is a popular creamy mayonnaise-based condiment that often comes with an order of crispy fish and chips. It’s tangy, zesty, and flecked with bits of dill pickle and seasoned with salt and pepper. It’s also made with herb and lemon juice which brighten it up. It compliments most fried foods, but we also love it with baked fish and sheet pan salmon.
How to Make Tartar Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir it.
- Season it to your liking. Do a little taste test along the way.
- Keep it in the fridge for up to 1 week. Serve it with your favorite fish and seafood dishes.
- Use either fresh dill or fresh parsley. Both will add a herbaceous note.
- Drop a teaspoon dijon mustard for a kick.
- Add in onion or garlic powder for additional seasoning.
- Some folks love to add salty capers to their sauce.
- You can replace the chopped dill pickles with dill relish or even sweet relish for a slight change in the flavor profile.
Favorite Ways to Use Tartar Sauce
This homemade tartar sauce recipe is one you’ll end up using on more than you can imagine!
- Fish sticks
- Crispy lemon baked fish
- Fish tacos
- Baked sweet potato fries
- Homemade hamburgers (with a homemade bun of course!)
- Fish sandwiches
- Baked chicken tenders
- Homemade French fries
More Homemade Sauces:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 Tablespoon chopped dill , or parsley
- 1-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice , to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until combined. Add more seasonings to taste.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for one week. Serve with your favorite fish.