Hawaiian Haystacks – A family favorite dinner that’s easy, inexpensive and completely customizable. Made in the crockpot and perfect for busy weeknights.
If you’re looking for a simple weeknight dinner that the whole family will love, this Hawaiian haystacks recipe is it! It’s an easy crockpot meal that requires hardly any work. Looking for other easy weeknight dinner dishes? Check out my easy meatball subs, sloppy joe’s, goulash, slow cooker ranch chicken tacos and french bread pizza.
Hawaiian haystacks are always a favorite around our house! They’re super easy, inexpensive and are completely customizable. I grew up eating them, so they’re definitely a nostalgic family dish. We love to create a buffet-style toppings bar, so that everyone can easily add the toppings that they want. It’s a fun way to serve the meal and makes it super easy to assemble.
My favorite part about the Hawaiian haystacks recipe is that the bulk of the meal cooks in the crockpot. Simply throw it all in the slow cooker and enjoy! This is the perfect recipe for busy nights. It’s so easy and yummy!
What are Hawaiian haystacks?
If you’ve never heard of a Hawaiian haystack before, it’s simply a dish that contains a rice base and is topped with a protein (such as chicken), a sauce/gravy, and other various toppings like pineapple, mandarin oranges, diced tomatoes, olives, Chinese noodles, celery and cheese. It’s a dish that’s convenient, inexpensive and can be assembled in a buffet-style manner.
How to make Hawaiian haystacks
Hawaiian haystacks are SO simple and one of our go-to easy weeknight meals. I love that the chicken is made in the slow cooker, which makes this dish even more convenient. Just follow the simple steps below to get started. Scroll down for the printable Hawaiian haystacks recipe.
- Add chicken to bottom of crockpot, then pour chicken broth, soup, onion and seasonings on top. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Once chicken is cooked through, shred and add back to sauce. Keep on low while you prepare the rice.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Pour sauce over rice and add toppings of choice. Enjoy!
TIP: If you want to know how to make Hawaiian haystacks sauce from scratch, check out this recipe. This is a great option if you’d rather not use the cream of chicken soup.
Hawaiian haystack toppings
Below are some of our favorite toppings to add to our Hawaiian haystacks. You could even add green onions, shredded carrots or avocado for more flavor.
- Shredded cheese
- Chinese noodles
- Diced tomatoes
- Chopped peppers
- Mini pineapples
- Mandarin oranges
- Sliced olives
- Chopped celery
Hawaiian Haystacks Recipe
- 1 pound chicken
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken
- 1 Tablespoon onion (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 cup rice
- Salt & pepper to taste
Optional Toppings: Shredded cheese, Chinese noodles, diced tomatoes, chopped peppers, mini pineapples, mandarin oranges, sliced olives, chopped celery
- Place chicken in crock pot. Pour chicken broth, soup, onion, and seasonings over chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Once chicken is cooked, shred chicken and add back to crockpot with sauce. Keep on low setting while you prepare the rice.
- Cook rice according to package directions (can substitute chicken broth for water for more flavor).
- Pour sauce over rice and add desired toppings. Enjoy!