Monster Tex-Mex Chicken Sliders … a delicious dinner ready for a ghoulish Halloween party. Easy to grab-and-go on the way to trick-or-treating.
The Halloween googly eyes will bring all the witches and Storm Troopers to the table. The taco-seasoned BBQ pulled chicken topped with guacamole will keep them hanging around!
I love BBQ and pulled chicken, easily cooked in a slow cooker, but I wanted something with a twist.
Don’t you always need a cute little something for your Halloween party? And usually it’s cupcakes or cookies, but really you still need to eat dinner! Hold that thought though, before you make this easy dinner, check out my awesome Cat Cupcakes and Skeleton Cookies. They are the darling treats every ghost will swoon at.
Monster Tex-Mex Chicken Sliders are so easy to make!
Now pull out the slow cooker, some skinless, boneless chicken and bbq sauce. I usually have some taco seasoning in the cupboard and chipotle in adobo in the fridge and you’ll just die at how this perks up a regular old slow cooker bbq.
Make the Monster Tex-Mex Chicken by simply combining taco seasoning with bbq sauce, then pouring over chicken and red onion in the slow cooker.
I cook the chicken on high for 4 hours, but you could leave it on low for 6 if you are going out and about. To keep this meal simple (there are costumes to get into!), I bought guacamole already prepared and some cute little potato rolls.
The best part is the googly eyes. Monsters have scary eyes, so let’s make it so. I cut string cheese into rounds and cut black olives with a straw! (just blow on the other end and the black circle pops out). Slice little slits on the top of each roll and set the little monster eyes in the slits to stand up straight.
I made cyclops monsters too! Slice baby cucumbers and use a bubble tea straw to cut those olives, and wham, you’ve got a scary cyclops eyeball.
The shredded chicken in sauce is topped with guacamole, more red onion and cilantro (if you like). For the kids adjust this recipe to your taste. You can leave out the chipotle, or serve the guac on the side with chips. Play around with the recipe, but keep an eye on the monsters!
Monster Tex-Mex Chicken Sliders
- 1 1/2 cups bbq sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 small red onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 slider buns
- 1 cup guacamole
- 2 String cheese sticks
- 1/4 cup Black olives
- 1 Baby cucumber
- Mix together the bbq sauce, taco seasoning and chipotle. Add the chicken to a slow cooker. Slice half the onion and add the slices to the chicken, then sprinkle with the salt.
- Pour bbq sauce mixture over the chicken, cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 hours. Remove chicken from the slow cooker and sauce and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to the sauce.
- Prepare the monster eyes by slicing the string cheese in rounds and cutting the black olives with a small and bubble tea (large) straw for little circles. Or cut small triangles with a paring knife for the scary eyes. Slice baby cucumbers for the cyclops eyes. Cut slits in the top of the rolls to insert eyes so they stand up.
- Fill the rolls with chicken, top with guacamole and top with the remaining chopped red onion and cilantro. Serve warm or room temperature.
Check out TaraTeaspoon.com for more Halloween entertaining recipes to keep the holiday easy.
If you love this delicious Halloween-themed dinner, you’ll enjoy these too!