Thai Pizza with Zucchini and Pickled Onions… veggie-packed pizza gets a little Asian kick from Sweet Chili Sauce. A perfect, new twist for your using up your summer veggies.
by Karen from The Food Charlatan, for I Heart Naptime.
It’s almost that time of year again! Zucchini time, that is. Do you have a garden? I don’t. But zucchini is one of those crops that is usually so abundant that I feel like people are handing it out like candy. (Not that people actually hand out candy. Wouldn’t that be awesome??)
Eric and I tried to grow tomatoes last year, it was our first experience gardening and we were only mildly successful. Mostly because of Truman, our then-one-year-old son. He’s a regular tomato swiper. Half green or all green, maybe some tomato leaves in there, he wasn’t picky. Seriously, kid? Are you that desperate?
Anyway, I know summer is a ways off for some of you, but you can never plan too early. And even if it’s not in season, you can usually find zucchini in the store year-round for pretty cheap anyway.
Thai Pizza with Zucchini and Pickled Onions is so delicious!
So buy some and put it on a pizza! With Sweet Chili Sauce and carrots and pickled onions. You’ve never pickled onions? Never fear. It’s just onions in lime juice, and it cuts the bite of the onion a little. I’ve been obsessed with it lately. They are particularly good on tacos.
I used half pork and half chicken on this pizza, and liked them both equally. The pork I used was from this Cuban Mojo-Marinated Pork, which is some of the best meat I’ve ever had! I used some of it for the pizza and some to make these amazing Cuban Sandwiches. Definitely check out those recipes! They have been huge hits around here.
Thai Pizza with Zucchini and Pickled Onions
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 1 juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- parchment paper
- 12 inch pizza dough
- olive oil
- 1/3 or 1/2 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups mozzarella divided
- 1 cup cooked chicken or pork shredded or cubed
- 1/2 small zucchini sliced thin
- 1 very small carrot shredded
- 1/4 or 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Put your pizza stone in the oven if you have one.
- Put the sliced red onion in a small bowl and stir in the lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside, stirring every few minutes so that they all get pickled.
- Lightly flour a square of parchment paper. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin to about 12 inches.
- Use your hands to spread about 1 tablespoon of olive oil all over the dough, especially the edges. Use a flat baking sheet or a large cutting board to transfer the parchment paper and the dough to to oven. If you have a pizza stone, great, otherwise put the parchment paper directly on the rack.
- Set a timer for 1 minute, then remove the parchment paper and pizza dough and put it on the counter.
- Spread the Sweet Chili Sauce all over the pizza, leaving a crust if you want. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese on top. Add the chicken or pork and distribute evenly. Add the zucchini slices and shredded carrot.
- Stir the pickled onions one last time, and add them to the top of the pizza, leaving the remaining lime juice behind.
- Transfer the pizza and parchment paper to the oven rack or pizza stone, and bake for about 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and some of the carrots have just started to brown.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve hot!