Scalloped Sweet Potato Recipe
Savory Scalloped Sweet Potatoes - Layers of sweet potatoes topped with a creamy rosemary sauce and cheddar and gruyere cheese. The perfect flavorful side dish recipe that everyone will love!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 small, washed and peeled)
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese (could sub with swiss cheese)
- 3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh rosemary (1-2 sprigs, finely chopped)
Optional: 1/4 cup bacon crumbles
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter a 9x9" pan and set aside.
Combine the garlic, cream and fresh rosemary in a small saucepan over medium heat. Salt and pepper to taste. I added about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer for a couple minutes. Add in 1/4 cup of the gruyere and 1/4 cup of the cheddar and stir until melted.
Slice the sweet potatoes into thin circles and place in the pan in a row, overlapping a little. Sprinkle about 1/2 of the cheese over top. Then add another layer of potatoes and cheese.
Pour the cream over top and then bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Top with bacon if desired.
- If you like onions, you can add 1/2 cup chopped onion in with the garlic and cream.
- If you want to take these sweet potatoes up a notch, add bacon to the top. All you need to do is cook 4 slices of bacon in a pan over medium heat and then crumble it once cooked and cooled. Then once the scalloped sweet potatoes are cooked you can sprinkle the bacon on top.
Calories: 362kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 199mg | Potassium: 445mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 17010IU | Vitamin C: 3.8mg | Calcium: 268mg | Iron: 0.8mg