Southwest Quinoa Salad Recipe
Southwest Quinoa Salad - Makes a delicious and flavorful side dish or main meal. You can feel great about eating this healthy, protein-packed quinoa salad all summer long!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 cup quinoa , rinsed
- 2 cups water or broth (I used chicken broth)
- 1 can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 can whole kernel corn , drained and rinsed
- 1 orange bell pepper , chopped
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes , sliced
- 3 green onions
- Handful fresh cilantro , chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 large limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 jalapeno , seeded and diced
Cook quinoa as directed on package. Once the quinoa is completely cooked, set it aside to cool.
Drain and rinse the canned black beans and corn. Pat dry with paper towels and place into a large bowl.
Add chopped bell pepper, sliced grape tomatoes, green onions and cilantro into the bowl with beans and corn.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and diced jalapeno.
Add the cooled quinoa to the vegetable mixture. Pour dressing over top the salad and toss until combined. Season to taste.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Served chilled.
- This salad can easily be made ahead of time. I usually make it the day before so the flavors can marinate together a little longer.
- Feel free to use either red or white quinoa. Both would taste equally as delicious!
- This salad will keep in the fridge for about 3 to 5 days. Just keep stored in an airtight container.
- This recipe is perfect for meal prep! You could even add chicken or avocado to bulk it up a little more.
Calories: 295kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1268mg | Potassium: 549mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1440IU | Vitamin C: 35.4mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 3.3mg