Gouda Mac and Cheese Recipe
Gouda Mac and Cheese is an irresistibly creamy and delicious meal or side dish. This smoked gouda mac and cheese will quickly become a family favorite thanks to creamy macaroni with a crunchy breadcrumb topping.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 2 1/4 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces smoked gouda , grated (plus additional cheese for topping if desired)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cook the macaroni according to package directions and drain.
While macaroni is cooking, melt the stick of butter in a separate saucepan over medium-heat.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, mustard, onion, paprika and pepper. Add to the melted butter and stir together for about 1 minute.
Add the milk a little bit at a time, whisking constantly. Once all of the milk is added, continue to stir and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Add the cheese, then turn off the heat and stir to combine.
Add the sauce to the drained macaroni (or the macaroni to the sauce, whichever is in the bigger pot.) Stir to combine, then pour it into a greased 2-quart casserole dish. Top with additional shredded gouda if you want.
In a small bowl, melt 3 Tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Add the breadcrumbs and stir until they are moist. Spread the breadcrumb mixture evenly over the top of the macaroni.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs start to brown.
Substitutes for gouda:
If looking for a substitute, make sure the cheese has a smokey, creamy flavor and is a semi-hard cheese.
- To save a step, look for pre-shredded gouda.
- Can mix the extra shredded gouda and breadcrumbs into the macaroni mixture if preferred. Then also top with a little extra cheese/breadcrumbs.
- To make homemade breadcrumbs: If you have some stale or dry bread, cut it into cubes than bake it in the oven at 300 degrees for 15 minutes. Then, use a food processor to pulse it into crumbs.
- Smoked mozzarella
- Monterey Jack
Calories: 470kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 672mg | Potassium: 234mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 790IU | Calcium: 299mg | Iron: 1.3mg