Pita Bread Recipe
Learn how to make the best homemade pita bread with just 5 simple ingredients. This easy pita bread recipe tastes authentic and is perfectly soft and crispy.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Rest time:1 hr
Total Time1 hr 40 mins
- 1 cup warm water , 110°F
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast , 1 packet
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Combine the warm water, active dry yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Mix in 1/2 cup flour and let sit for 10 minutes, or until it has puffed up.
Mix in the olive oil and salt. Then stir in the remaining flour. Once it becomes to hard to stir, start to knead with your hands. You may also use an electric mixer with a dough hook. Knead for 3-5 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and lightly cover with oil. Place in a bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 1 hour in a warm place, or until doubled in size.
Punch down the dough and divide the dough into eight pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and then cover with a damp paper towel for 10-15 minutes.
Roll out one piece of dough at a time on a lightly floured surface. Roll into an circle about 1/8" thick.
Cooking in oven:
Place a pizza stone or cast iron skillet on the 2nd to bottom rack. Preheat oven to 475°F. Once the oven is hot, add 1-2 rolled out circles onto the pan. Close the oven and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until it has puffed up with large bubbles. Flip and cook an additional minute.
Cooking on stove:
Brush about 1/2 teaspoon oil onto a large cast iron skillet. Heat over medium heat. Place rolled out dough onto the pan once it's hot and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Once it has puffed up with large bubbles, flip to the other side and cook an additional minute. Remove to a plate and cover with a towel.
- Cooking in the oven will result in a more airy crispy pita bread.
- Cooking in the oven will result in a thicker chewier texture.
- Can knead by hand or use an electric mixer with a dough hook.
- Best served warm and fresh. Will keep for 1-2 days in an airtight container at room temp.
- To freeze: Place in a zip top freezer bag with a piece of parchment in between each piece. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Simply reheat in a damp towel.
Serving: 1pita | Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 440mg | Potassium: 70mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1.9mg