Creamy Rigatoni - Tender rigatoni pasta covered in a creamy bolognese sauce. Comforting, rich and absolutely delicious!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 12 ounces rigatoni noodles
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion , minced
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream , or half and half
- 1-2 cups chopped kale , or baby spinach
Salt and red pepper flakes
Optional: fresh parsley, basil and/or parmesan cheese for serving
Cook the noodles according to package in salted water. Reserve 1 cup water and then drain noodles.
While the noodles are cooking, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-heat. Add the onion and bell peppers. Cook until tender. Add the garlic and sausage. Cook until browned. Drain any grease.
Stir in the Italian seasoning, tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken broth. Turn the heat to low and then slowly stir in the heavy cream. Once it has come to a light simmer, add in the kale. Season with salt and pepper. Then add noodles and toss. Add reserved water if needed to thin out.
Serve rigatoni with fresh parmesan cheese and herbs on top.
This rigatoni also tastes delicious baked in the oven. Once you've stirred the noodles and sauce together place in a grease 9x13" pan. Then top with 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese. Then bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
- If you don't have rigatoni noodles, both penne or ziti noodles work great.
- Don't love kale? Feel free to use baby spinach instead or leave it out.
- Can use ground beef instead of sausage if preferred.
Calories: 548kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 623mg | Potassium: 696mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2405IU | Vitamin C: 42.9mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 2.8mg