Angel Cookies – soft and chewy vanilla cookies with a delicious sugar glaze that looks just like glistening snow
Hey there, I Heart Naptime readers! I’m Sara and I blog over at Bitz & Giggles! I’m SO excited to be here today and boy do I have a special recipe to share with you all! These Angel Cookies have been in my family for as long as I can remember.
My grandma, Catherine, would make these soft and chewy vanilla cookies for my sister and me around Christmastime and, really, throughout the year. My favorite part is the gorgeous sugar glaze that looks just like glistening snow. So pretty for the holidays.
When I bite into one of these cookies, it’s pure nostalgia for me. I just know you’re going to love ’em, too. So, roll up those sleeves and let’s make some cookies!
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup shortening
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon salt
- Cream together the butter, shortening, sugars, egg and vanilla by hand (no mixer!)
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and combine.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls.
- Dip half of ball in cold water and then in white sugar to form a glaze on top of the cookie. Place onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until cookies are just barely turning brown around the edges. Do not over bake.
Just look at this deliciousness! These cookies are so worthy of a spot on your Christmas cookie platter this year. I really think these are called Angel Cookies because they taste like pure heaven when you bite into them. So, SO good.
And that sugar cookie glaze. I mean, just look at those beautiful crystals. I remember coming home from school, running to the kitchen and grabbing a stack of these cookies to enjoy with a big glass of milk. Those were the days, let me tell you! It’s so much fun to relive those memories each time I bake these sweet treats.
Today, it makes my heart happy to make these cookies for my family. My kids love them as much as I did when I was young. These Angel Cookies will forever be in my heart and I can’t wait to pass this recipe down to my children. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do. Happy baking!
I’d love for you to follow all of my recipes and adventures over at Bitz & Giggles!
Thank you, Sara! Be sure to check her blog for more amazing cookie recipes!
If you loved these cookies, you’ll enjoy these, too!