Easy and delicious Mexican burrito bowls made in just one pot in 30 minutes…making clean up a breeze. Perfect for busy week nights!
Table of Contents
Ground Beef Burrito Bowl
If you’ve been a long time reader, it’s no surprise that I’m a big fan of Mexican food. Some of my favorites include my green enchiladas and taco soup. These easy Mexican bowls have now been added to the list! If you like my taco soup, you will love this recipe. I used many of the same ingredients, but added rice to make the famous burrito bowl. It is so good!
This burrito bowl recipe is an easy 30-minute meal and one of our favorite one pot dinners. It’s loaded with ground beef, rice, black beans, cheese, fresh tomatoes, and cilantro! Some of the best flavors ever. The chunky salsa and green chiles give it a little kick, but not too much. My whole family loved it! Definitely put it on the menu this week and let me know how you like it. You really can’t beat it!
- Seasonings: Chili powder, taco seasoning and salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetables: Red bell pepper, sweet onions, corn and diced green chiles
- Legumes: We used black beans, but pinto beans would work too
- Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes and Thick n’ Chunky Salsa
- Rice: Jasmine rice, uncooked (or add in precooked rice at the end and stir)
- Cheese: Shredded cheddar jack is our go-to cheese to use for this recipe
- Meat: Our preference is lean ground beef, but you can substitute chicken if preferred
- Liquid: We used chicken stock, but vegetable broth works too
How to Make a Burrito Bowl
- SAUTE. Cook the onions and red pepper in a large pan until soft, then add in the beef and cook until brown. Drain any excess grease.
- SIMMER. Stir in the salsa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, jasmine rice, taco seasoning and chili powder. Then pour in chicken stock and bring to light boil. Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- TOP. Add favorite toppings and serve over lettuce in a salad bowl and eat with tortilla chips. It also tastes delicious on top of nachos or in a flour tortilla to make a burrito.
Tips + Modifications
- Meat. Feel free to sub ground beef with ground turkey or chicken (dice into 1-inch cubes). You can also use any leftover cooked meat, like taco meat or shredded chicken. Just mix it in when you add all of the other ingredients.
- Vegetarian. Sub the meat with diced sweet potatoes, similar to my one pot sweet potato bowls. You could add in more beans, my easy refried beans or veggies too.
- Spice. To take the heat up a notch, add a little more chili powder or mix in some red pepper flakes or chopped jalapenos. You can also use fire roasted diced tomatoes or hot salsa.
- Rice. I used jasmine rice, but brown rice will also work. Use 3/4 cup brown rice and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Using leftovers. Leftovers are perfect for making stuffed bell peppers or a taco salad.
Feeding a crowd? Serve this dish with these baked nachos or an extra side of black beans and rice!
More Easy Mexican Dinners
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup red bell pepper , chopped
- ½ cup sweet onion , chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup salsa , I used Thick n’ Chunky Medium spice
- 15 ounce can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can corn , drained
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 cup jasmine rice , rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon chili powder , use 1-2 tsp if you like more spice
- 2 cups chicken stock , or vegetable broth works too
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese
- S&P to taste
Optional Toppings: Sour cream, cilantro, green onions, tomatoes, guacamole or sliced avocados, jalapenos or hot sauce
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions and red peppers. Add in hamburger and cook until browned. Drain grease. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in salsa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, jasmine rice, taco seasoning and chili powder. Pour in chicken stock and then bring to a light boil. Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the rice is all the way cooked.
- Stir and season to taste. Add cheese if desired. Cover pot with lid and let rest for 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Spoon into bowls and top with your favorite toppings. We like to serve over lettuce in a salad bowl and eat with tortilla chips.
- You could also make this recipe with chicken. Dice the chicken into 1-inch cubes and cook in place of the hamburger.
- You can also use a can of rotel in place of the separate cans of tomatoes and green chiles.
- You can add extra veggies in with the peppers. Add 1/4 cup extra broth if adding more.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
FABULOUS! My husband and I loved this – super tasty! We had it on lettuce but I’m sure it would be good on tortilla chips or even by itself. Thank you so much for posting this recipe – this will be a regular meal at our home now 😀
Delicious & easy to make!!
Glad to hear it, Melanie. Always great to cut down on the number of dishes to wash!
This recipe is super easy and flavorful. I used ground turkey. If you aren’t worried about carbs, chips complement the dish
Chips are always a must in our house with this dish :) Glad you enjoyed it!
This was so good! My 15 month twins have a lot of food allergies, so I’m always hunting for safe meal ideas. This was perfect. I used chicken since they are allergic to beef.
Glad to hear it was a hit with your little ones! Thanks for your comment and review, Tiffany :)
Was so Delish & Easy ! I’m a huge fan of the 1 Pot Meal !
I doubled the Recipe & it turned out perfect .
People did their own thing w this ~ some had a bowl w nacho chips ~ some rolled it into a burrito ~ some made a salad .
Sounds delicious! Thanks for the review! :)
I love it! I tried it for the first time today with my family and had to substitute chicken for the beef and a few vegetables but it was amazing! I know that I can always come here for a recipe when I don’t know what to cook.
So happy to hear you loved the recipe, Kait! Thanks for leaving your kind comment and review :)