This easy meatloaf recipe is tender, juicy and topped with a sweet glaze. Simple to make and ready in less than an hour!
Table of Contents
Favorite Comfort Meal
What I love about this meatloaf recipe is that it’s so easy to make and done in less than one hour. It’s perfectly tender and juicy with a sweet meatloaf sauce on top. Plus it can even be made ahead of time and is freezer-friendly.
How to Make Homemade Meatloaf
- MIX. In a large bowl, combine the meat, breadcrumbs, broth, eggs, parsley, Worcestershire, ketchup, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix just until combined. Don’t over mix or the meat won’t be as tender.
- SHAPE. Press the mixture into a foil-lined (and sprayed) 9×5″ loaf pan. You can also use a foil-lined baking sheet and form the mixture into a loaf shape on the pan.
- GLAZE. In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup and/or BBQ sauce and brown sugar. Then pour over top of the meatloaf. Add pepper on top if desired.
- BAKE. Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes, or until the meat reaches 160°F.
- Use 80-90% lean ground beef. This makes the meatloaf super tender and juicy. You can also make turkey meatloaf with ground turkey but it will not be quite as juicy (but still plenty flavorful though). Sometimes I like to mix half turkey and half hamburger to make it a little more lean.
- Beef broth instead of milk. The broth adds a heartier flavor and just makes more sense to me. But you can absolutely use milk if preferred.
- Don’t over mix! Mix just until combined, making sure not to over mix the meat mixture. An over mixed meatloaf won’t be as tender and soft.
- Use a meat thermometer. Once the internal temperature of the meat has reached 160°F, you can remove it from the oven.
- Add some heat. If you prefer a little heat, add some red pepper flakes into the meat mixture or a few dashes of sriracha to the sauce.
- Mini muffins. Turn into mini meatloaf muffins by pressing the meat mixture into a muffin tin.
Make Ahead + Freezing
To make in advance: You can easily prep this recipe ahead of time. Simply combine the meat mixture in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. You can also mix together the glaze in advance too. Then store both in the refrigerator until using. Right before baking, shape the meatloaf and add the glaze.
To freeze: I recommend freezing the meatloaf before cooking. Press the meat in a loaf pan and cover tightly with saran wrap. Alternatively, you can form into a loaf shape and wrap tightly with saran wrap. Store in freezer for 2-3 months. To thaw, place in fridge overnight. Then bake at 375°F for 45 minutes.
5 star review
“My husband didn’t really care for meatloaf…UNTIL now!! I searched for a recipe that would be fast and easy with ingredients already at home. THIS has been made 3x and I’m making it a 4th time tonight.”-LadyRam2006
Favorite Sides for Serving
This homemade meatloaf tastes delicious with any of the following sides:
- instant pot mashed potatoes
- green beans
- mac and cheese
- glazed carrots
- dinner rolls
- parmesan roasted broccoli
- garlic mashed red potatoes
More Comfort Food Dinner Ideas
- 2 pounds 80%-90% lean ground beef , or ground turkey or 1 pound ground pork and 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup beef broth , or milk
- 2 large eggs , whisked
- 2-3 Tablespoons fresh parsley , finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2/3 cup ketchup or BBQ sauce , you could mix half and half
- 2-3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet or 9×5-inch loaf pan with foil. Lightly spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, breadcrumbs, broth, eggs, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder until just combined. Don't overmix or the meat won't be as tender.
- Press into the loaf pan or form the mixture into a loaf shape on the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ketchup and/or BBQ sauce and brown sugar. Pour over the top of the meatloaf. Add pepper on top, if desired.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reaches 160°F.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!