These cake mix cookies are such an easy and delicious recipe to make with only 3 ingredients! Customize this recipe with your favorite flavor and mix-in’s.
These cake box cookies are one of my tried and true recipes that are so easy to make. I’m all about simple and delicious desserts, and these are just that. I also love to make chocolate chip pudding cookies, Oreo cookie balls and sugar cookie bars.
Now I’m not sure who the original creator is, but I first saw it in a church cookbook I received many years ago and have made many different variations ever since. These are great for when you need to make something quick and don’t have a lot of ingredients on hand. I don’t know about you, but I pretty much always have a box of cake mix, oil and eggs on hand.
These cake batter cookies are soft, fluffy and seriously so delicious. I love how many different variations you can easily make. Plus, they are so simple that you literally can’t mess them up. Always a huge hit!
This cake mix cookie recipe requires only 3 simple ingredients (which you probably already have on hand!). This is seriously the easiest dessert to whip up and perfect for the kids to help with.
- 1 box cake mix (use any flavor you’d like)
- Vegetable Oil
How to make cookies from cake mix
Basically all you need to make these cake mix cookies is a box of cake mix, oil and eggs. Then all you’re going to do is mix the ingredients together until the dough is smooth. Then add any mix-in’s if you’d like. I also like to refrigerate the dough, so it’s easier to work with. It tends to be a little stickier than your typical cookie dough because of the oil. You can find the printable cake mix cookie recipe and video tutorial below.
Variations for cake mix cookies
You can use pretty much any flavor of cake mix to make these cake cookies. Feel free to add in your favorite mix-ins or dip in chocolate. Below are a few of my favorites.
- Red velvet white chocolate chip: If you’re a fan of red velvet cake, you’re going to love this version ! The red velvet flavor is rich and delicious and the white chocolate chips add the perfect sweet touch. Plus the contrast of the red and white colors looks so pretty!
- White cake mix cookies with M&M’s: You can use white or yellow cake mix for this variation. The M&M’s are fun, colorful and add a delicious hint of chocolate. You could also make these with chocolate cake mix as well. Both versions are delicious. My kids love these!
- Devil’s food cake mix cookies with Rolo’s: If you’re a chocolate lover, this is the perfect version for you! The chocolate flavor paired with the gooey caramel inside is a match made in heaven! The Rolo in the middle is such a nice surprise.
- Chocolate-dipped strawberry cake mix cookies: I made a version of these strawberry cake cookies for Valentine’s Day and they were so festive and delicious! I even added some pink and red heart shaped sprinkles. They are super soft, full of strawberry flavor and best of all dipped in chocolate!
Cake Mix Cookies
- 15.25 ounce box cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
Optional Mix-in’s: Chocolate chips, M&M’s, Rolo's, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the cake mix, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Stir together until combined. If you have the time, refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes (it will make it a little easier to work with, since it is sticky).
- Using a medium scoop or spoon, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking mat. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the cookies are set. You don’t want them to brown. Allow to cool on the pan for a couple minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.