Only one bowl and 30 minutes to make! Incredibly soft and moist with the perfect amount of sweetness. These are the BEST banana bread muffins!
Table of Contents
Quick and Easy Banana Bread Muffins
Banana bread is a family favorite at our house. We make it all the time and the kids even love to help. Sometimes we make yummy variations, like these easy muffins, chocolate chip banana bread, double chocolate banana bread, and cranberry banana bread.
These banana muffins are incredibly soft, moist and have the perfect amount of sweetness. They taste wonderful plain or with added mix-ins like chocolate chips, coconut, or chopped nuts. They make a great on-the-go breakfast or snack to quickly grab when you’re in a pinch.
The best part about this recipe is that just my applesauce muffin you only need one bowl and 30 minutes to make them! So easy and the perfect recipe for kids to help with. My oldest two kids (10 and 8) make them all the time.
So next time you have ripe bananas that have gone brown and spotty, definitely give these easy muffins a try. They’ll become an instant hit with your family and a tried and true recipe to always have in your back pocket. These really are the BEST banana muffins!
This list of ingredients for the banana bread muffin recipe has all your pantry staple favorites that combine with a delicious banana. This banana mixture only takes minutes to prepare and minutes to bake in the oven. This is a muffin your whole family will love!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Butter: Melt the butter ahead of time. The melted butter will add a moist texture to the muffins.
- Sugar: Sweeten the muffins with a dash of sugar! Using both white and light brown sugar gives the muffins a moist and delicious taste! The moist crumbs stick together with just enough sweetness.
- Eggs: This is the binder! The eggs hold all the ingredients together.
- Vanilla extract: Add in a balanced flavor!
- Sour cream: This is a hidden secret! The sour cream will work as a sweetener as well as soften the muffins.
- Flour: Thicken the muffins with flour. All-purpose flour gives these homemade banana bread muffins the perfect texture and flavor.
- Baking powder and baking soda: Combined baking powder and baking soda will lift and build the muffin batter to raise high as it is baking. Make sure your baking powder and baking soda are up-to-date and fresh for the best results.
- Ripe bananas: Mash your ripe bananas with a fork to receive the perfect consistency. Ripe bananas are yellow and brown in color and are very soft to the touch. They usually sit out on a counter for a long period of time until they are ripe.
How to Make Banana Bread Muffins
Making easy banana bread muffins does not take a lot of work or time. They are perfect for those busy days you need a quick snack. Make these banana bread muffins for breakfast, a snack, or even a treat for any occasion!
- Preheat oven and line muffin tins. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line two muffin tins with paper liners. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix wet ingredients together. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars using an electric mixer. Add the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream and stir just until combined.
- Mix dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. Do not over-mix. Then gently fold in the banana.
- Bake in the oven. Fill the muffin liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
You can easily make these banana muffins into chocolate chip banana bread muffins if preferred. If adding chocolate chips, simply follow the added steps below.
- Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips when folding in the mashed banana.
- Once the muffin liners are filled with batter, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips evenly over the top of the muffins.
Follow these quick and easy baking tips to learn how to make healthy muffins, add in chocolate or nuts, or how to half the recipe, or even bake it another way. All these great tips and ideas will help make the best banana bread muffins!
- Healthy muffins. The recipe can be lightened by using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and apple sauce in place of butter in a 1:1 ratio.
- Don’t over-mix. It is best to not over-mix the batter! The bread will not be as soft and tender if over-mixed.
- Chocolate chips. If making half regular and half with chocolate chips, use 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Muffin cups. Fill the muffin liners 2/3 of the way full so they have room to rise.
- Extra flavors. Can add in extras like chopped walnuts for a variation of my banana nut bread, pecans, cinnamon, coconut, and more. Try this recipe for zucchini banana bread muffins!
- Ripe bananas. Use ripe bananas that are brown and spotty! The riper they are, the sweeter they are.
- Half the recipe. Could cut the recipe in half to make 12 muffins instead of 24.
- Make it a loaf. To make a loaf of banana bread, check out this easy banana bread recipe. Using a loaf pan will give you a baked banana bread appearance.
- Mini muffins. Need bite-size muffins? Try these mini banana muffins using a small or mini muffin pan instead of a normal or large size cup.
There are a few different variations that can happen when making a banana muffin recipe. The dry ingredients can be expired or past due which makes them not raise when baking. Also, excessive mixing or overmixing can cause the banana muffin batter to come out gummy.
Yes! Kickstart your metabolism with carbohydrates and vitamins for the energy you get from banana bread muffins. These banana bread muffins are full of Vitamin E, iron, omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, and essential minerals.
They will last stored in an airtight container for five to seven days long. They are the perfect breakfast or snack to have on the go.
5 star review
“These muffins were so moist! I added walnuts and to part of them I added chopped chocolate. They tasted so yummy with the chocolate chunks and without. I’ve already shared this recipe and plan to save and use over and over. Thank you!”-Victoria
Storage and Freezing
Making these banana bread muffins ahead of time is a great idea! Only baking one batch can be risky and leaves you with not enough muffins. These muffins store very well long-term or throughout the week.
- To store: Store in a zip-top bag at room temperature for up to 3 to 4 days. To avoid the muffins getting soggy, add a few folded paper towels to absorb moisture.
- To freeze: Add to a freezer bag or container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, place the muffin in the microwave for 15-30 seconds, or until warm.
More Muffin Recipes
Banana Bread Muffins
- ½ cup unsalted butter , softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar , packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon table salt or fine sea salt
- 1 ¼ cups ripe banana , mashed (about 3 medium bananas)
Optional: 1 1/2 cups semisweet or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two muffin tins with paper liners. Spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream and stir just until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the banana and 1 cup of chocolate chips (if adding).
- Fill the muffin liners 2/3 of the way full. If adding chocolate chips, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup evenly over the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool.
- Recipe can be lightened by using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and apple sauce in place of butter in a 1:1 ratio.
- If making half regular and half with chocolate chips, use 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Can add in extras like chopped nuts, cinnamon and coconut.
- Could cut recipe in half to make 12 muffins instead of 24.
- Use my banana bread recipe to make a loaf instead of muffins.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!