These are the absolute BEST buttermilk pancakes! Perfectly soft, fluffy and moist. Taste amazing topped with butter, syrup and fresh berries!
We love to make pancakes for breakfast on the weekends. My kids have so much fun helping and love to add their favorite toppings. If we’re not making pancakes, then we’re probably making waffles, french toast, crepes, omelettes or biscuits and gravy. You just can’t beat breakfast!
These are seriously the best buttermilk pancakes! They are so soft, fluffy and tender. My kids call them fluffy pancakes and beg for them almost daily!
If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, check out my post on how to make buttermilk. It couldn’t be easier…all you need to do is add a tablespoon of vinegar to the milk and let it sit for 10 minutes. The buttermilk makes them super soft and moist…it’s the secret to fluffy pancakes!
The nice thing about these buttermilk pancakes is it’s easy to double and then freeze half the pancakes for those mornings you don’t feel like cooking. They warm up quickly in the microwave or toaster for about 30 seconds.
We love to serve these fluffy pancakes topped with homemade buttermilk syrup and fresh berries. So delicious!
What’s the difference between buttermilk pancakes and regular pancakes?
It may sound self explanatory, but the main difference between regular pancakes and buttermilk pancakes is the buttermilk! Most regular pancake recipes call for regular milk, while buttermilk pancakes call for buttermilk instead. I love the texture that buttermilk adds to the pancakes…they turn out super soft and moist and are light and airy when you bite in. Yum!
What does buttermilk do for pancakes?
Buttermilk is definitely the secret to fluffy pancakes! The acidity in buttermilk helps to tenderize the pancakes, making them super soft and moist. Plus it helps give them height too, so each bite is perfectly light and airy. Trust me, once you make buttermilk pancakes, you won’t go back to regular. They are so fluffy, moist and absolutely delicious.
How to make pancakes
Scroll down for the printable buttermilk pancake recipe.
- Heat griddle or skillet and melt butter. Preheat a griddle to 325°F or a skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter in microwave and let cool for 3 minutes.
- Combine ingredients. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Next add in buttermilk and butter. Stir just until combined. Then mix in eggs and vanilla, just until most of the lumps are gone and batter is smooth.
- Cook pancakes. Coat griddle or skillet with butter and pour 1/4 cup batter on top. Cook until bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Flip and then cook on the other side for 1 minute, or just until lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy! Serve immediately and top with butter, maple syrup or buttermilk syrup and fresh berries if desired.
TIP: If you aren’t serving the buttermilk pancakes immediately, simply place them on a baking sheet in the oven at 175°F to keep warm.
Can buttermilk pancakes be frozen?
The nice thing about these buttermilk pancakes is that it’s easy to double and then freeze half the pancakes for busy mornings. To freeze, let cool completely then place in a large ziptop bag. Store in freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, reheat in the microwave or toaster oven for 30 seconds.
Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , more for the griddle
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs , whisked
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For serving: Syrup, Fresh berries
- Preheat a griddle to 325°F, or a skillet over medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the microwave and set aside to cool for 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then add in the buttermilk and butter and stir just until combined. Then mix in the eggs and vanilla, just until most the lumps are gone and the batter is smooth.
- Coat the griddle (or skillet) with butter and then pour 1/4 cup batter onto the heated griddle. Cook the pancakes until bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook the other side for 1 minute, or just until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately or place pancakes on a baking sheet in the oven at 175°F to keep warm.