Soft and fluffy banana muffins swirled with rich chocolate nutella. Made in one bowl in just 30 minutes, these banana nutella muffins are the perfect sweet snack or dessert to have on hand!
Table of Contents
Nutella Banana Swirled Muffins
This is the perfect way to jazz up the classic banana bread muffins. It’s no secret that chocolate makes everything better, and this definitely rings true in this recipe as well. The swirls of rich chocolate nutella are the perfect compliment to the sweet banana flavor. Yum!
Bananas and nutella are an award winning combination. And after making my delicious nutella crepes with sliced bananas, I knew I wanted to experiment more with the flavors when baking. I had some leftover ripe bananas that I needed to use up, so I decided to make these easy banana nutella muffins. And boy am I glad that I did!
They’re super soft, moist and have the perfect ratio of banana and nutella flavor. They taste amazing as-is, or with a little butter or peanut butter on top. My kids also loved them and requested that I make them again, which is always a win. Next time I’m going to freeze half so that we can easily pop them out and reheat for a quick breakfast, snack or dessert! :)
How to Make Banana Nutella Muffins
- Wet ingredients. Cream together the softened butter and sugars with an electric mixer. Then stir in the eggs, vanilla and sour cream just until combined.
- Dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients. Then slowly stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture with a wooden spoon until just combined. Then fold in the mashed bananas and any extra mix-in’s (chocolate chips, nuts, etc.).
- Swirl. Fill the lined muffin cups with batter (about 2/3 of the way full) and then add 1 to 2 teaspoons of nutella in each. Then use a toothpick to swirl the nutella into the banana batter.
- Bake. Bake in the oven at 375°F for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned. To double check if they are done, stick a toothpick into the center of the muffins. It should come out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Baking Tips and Tricks
- Ripe bananas. Your bananas should be brown and spotty (this means they’re ripe). The riper they are, the sweeter taste they will have.
- Don’t over mix. Mix the batter just until combined. If you over mix, the texture won’t be as soft and fluffy.
- Healthier swaps. You can substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream and use apple sauce in place of butter (use a 1:1 ratio).
- Extra mix-in’s. Feel free to add in extras like chocolate chips, chopped nuts, cinnamon and coconut.
- Filling the muffin cups. Make sure not to overfill the muffin cups. They should be 2/3 of the way full. I love to use a large cookie scoop to scoop the batter into the pan.
- Cut in half. To make 12 muffins (instead of 24), simply cut the recipe in half. If you plan to make banana mini muffins, I recommend halving the recipe.
- Loaf. You can use this recipe to make a loaf of banana bread instead of muffins. Add the batter to a greased 9×5″ loaf pan and swirl in the nutella on top. Then bake at 325°F for about 65 to 70 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
Storing + Freezing
These banana nutella muffins will stay fresh for up to 4 days if stored in a zip top bag at room temperature. I like to stick a few folded paper towels into the bag to help prevent the muffins from getting soggy (the paper towels help absorb any moisture). You may also freeze these muffins for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy, warm in microwave for 15 to 30 seconds.
More Homemade Muffin Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Banana Nutella Muffins
- ½ cup unsalted butter , softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar , packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon table salt or fine sea salt
- 1 ¼ cups ripe banana , mashed (about 3 medium bananas)
- ½ cup nutella
Optional: 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two muffin tins with paper liners. Spray with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream and stir just until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the banana and 1 cup of chocolate chips (if adding).
- Fill the muffin liners 2/3 of the way full. Add 1-2 teaspoons nutella to the top of each muffin and then swirl with a toothpick.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool.
- Recipe can be lightened by using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and apple sauce in place of butter in a 1:1 ratio.
- Don’t over mix the batter! The bread will not be as soft and tender if over-mixed.
- If making half regular and half with chocolate chips, use 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin liners 2/3 of the way full so they have room to rise.
- Can add in extras like chopped nuts, cinnamon, coconut and more.
- Use ripe bananas that are brown and spotty! The riper they are, the sweeter they are.
- Could cut recipe in half to make 12 muffins instead of 24.
- To make a loaf of banana bread, check out this easy recipe.
- Store banana muffins in a zip top bag at room temperature for up to 3-4 days. To avoid the muffins getting soggy, add in a few folded paper towels to absorb moisture.
- Add banana muffins to a freezer bag or container and store in freezer for up to 2 months. To reheat, place muffin in microwave for 15-30 seconds, or until warm.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
These were a big hit with my grandchillins and adults. Made more than 24 but only by 2. Will defiantly make these moist flavorful muffins again!
Yay! I’m so glad they were such a big hit!
This is really amazing!! My kids loved a whole batch of these!
This looks so delicious and so yummy! I can’t wait to give this a try! So excited to try this!
Nothing beats nutella, especially in the morning! My family loves these muffins!
I agree – nutella is the best! Glad your family loved them :)