These zucchini chocolate chip muffins are super soft, moist and jam packed with flavor! You’d never know they’re loaded with freshly shredded zucchini. Kid approved and freezer-friendly, too!
Zucchini muffins are one of my favorites to make during the Summer. I love to bake with fresh fruits or vegetables that are in season. Some of my other favorite baked goods for summer are lemon blueberry muffins, morning glory muffins and glazed orange muffins.
One of my favorite summer vegetables is zucchini. And combine it with chocolate and it’s a match made in heaven. I made these zucchini muffins with chocolate chips last week and they were so unbelievably good! My kids never would have guessed there was zucchini inside. They would have eaten the whole pan of muffins if I let them!
They are simple, rich and full of flavor! The zucchini gives the muffins the perfect moist consistency and I love that extra veggies are secretly packed in. We ended up freezing half the batch and they have been great for snacks on the go. Seriously, I cannot wait to make these muffins again and again!
If you’re wondering how to shred zucchini, it’s actually pretty simple. You can use a food processor or a cheese grater to easily and quickly shred your zucchini (no peeling required!). After it’s shredded, just make sure to use a cheese cloth or paper towel to wring out any extra water/moisture. This is an important step that you must follow, or else you’ll end up with soggy muffins.
I love to freeze extra shredded zucchini (especially in the Summer when I have lots to use up) so that I can easily make these muffins or my favorite lemon blueberry zucchini bread.
- Don’t over mix. It’s important not to get heavy handed when mixing the batter. If you over mix, the muffins won’t be as moist and soft. Make sure to mix just until combined.
- Chocolate chips. I typically use semi-sweet, but milk or dark chocolate chips would taste delicious. You can even use a mixture of each if you’d like.
- Extras. Feel free to mix in extra ingredients, like chopped nuts or shredded coconut.
- Fill 2/3 of the way full. For the perfectly sized muffin tops, fill the batter in each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way full. I’ve found that using an ice cream scoop gives you the perfect amount in each cup.
- Topping. Right before baking, add a few extra chocolate chips on top to make them look extra pretty.
- Toothpick test. To test if they are done, stick a toothpick in the center of the muffins. If the toothpick is clean, they are done. If it still has batter on it, continue baking for a few more minutes and then retest again.
Storing + freezing
To store: Make sure they have cooled completely. Then place in an airtight container and keep at room temperature for about 2 to 3 days. You can extend their shelf life by a few more days if you store them in the refrigerator. I like to add a few folded paper towels into the bag to keep the muffins from getting soggy (they help absorb the moisture).
To freeze: Place in a freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave for about 15 to 30 seconds, until warm.
Other baked favorites:
- Blueberry muffins
- Glazed orange scones
- Chocolate chip banana bread muffins
- Apricot yogurt muffins
- Banana bread
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour , or wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs , whisked
- 2 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and fill a cupcake pan with liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, zucchini, sugar, oil and vanilla. Then pour wet mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan until the cups are 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean.
What’s your favorite way to use up your fresh Summer zucchini?!
Happy baking! XO – Jamielyn