The BEST chocolate chip banana bread that’s super soft, sweet and absolutely delicious! Filled with chocolate chips and fresh banana flavor. This recipe is always requested by friends and family!
Table of Contents
Favorite Banana Bread Recipe
This is one of my staple baking recipes that I make regularly. It tastes amazing and is so soft and fluffy. I also make classic banana bread, but let’s be honest…doesn’t everything taste better with chocolate chips? Yes indeed!
Today I’ll be sharing the BEST chocolate chip banana bread! I’ve tried quite a few recipes and have finally nailed down the perfect banana bread…which of course involves chocolate chips. ;) It’s always requested by friends and family and is super soft, sweet and absolutely delicious!
You can leave out the chocolate chips, but in my opinion, they make the bread! Also, feel free to add in some chopped walnuts or pecans too. My family prefers the bread without them, so we stick to straight chocolate chips. And who can argue with that?! ;)
Use Ripe Bananas
The best part about making this recipe is that it’s the perfect way to use up those overripe bananas. I love bananas, but the second they get soft and spotty, I won’t eat them plain. So what better way to make use of them than to bake this chocolate chip banana bread.
Bananas that are soft, spotty and a tad dark on the inside (similar to the above picture) are perfect for making bread. I prefer not to use bananas that have blackened, because they taste a little more rotten to me. Just a personal preference!
I also like to freeze my overripe bananas if I’m not planning on making this recipe right away. Just peel the bananas, then place them in a zip top freezer bag and store in freezer. When ready to use, thaw at room temp until no longer frozen. You can also use these frozen bananas in smoothies, too!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Make the batter. Cream together the butter and sugar. Then mix in the eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl, then slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Fold in the mashed bananas and chocolate chips.
- Pour into pans. Pour the batter into two greased 8×4″ loaf pans. You can also pour the batter into one 9×5″ pan or four small loaf pans, however you’ll need to adjust the baking time.
- Bake in oven. Bake at 325°F for 55 minutes, or until the bread is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Once slightly cooled, remove from pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Flour your loaf pans or line with parchment paper to prevent the loaves from sticking.
- Use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream for a lighter alternative.
- Feel free to use frozen bananas. Just let them thaw first and then mash before making your bread.
- Add a few chocolate chips on top of the batter in the loaf pan to make it look extra pretty.
- You can cut the recipe in half if you’d prefer to only make 1 loaf.
- If the bread is browning too fast, cover the top lightly with foil to prevent burning.
To Make into Muffins
You can easily make this recipe into chocolate chip banana bread muffins instead. Just pour the batter into a muffin tin lined with muffin liners or sprayed with non-stick spray. This recipe will make 24 regular-sized muffins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Then transfer muffins to a baking rack to cool.
This recipe makes two loaves, so I always love to freeze one of them for later. To freeze, simply wrap the loaf tightly in foil, then place in a freezer bag. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months.
5 star review
“This is the best banana bread recipe ever. Everyone who has eaten it loves it!”– Melissa
More quick breads with bananas we love include this banana cranberry bread! It’s perfect during the holidays.
More Delicious Banana Bread Recipes
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Then mix in eggs, vanilla and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture and stir until combined. Fold in bananas and chocolate chips.
- Pour into 2 (8×4") loaf pans and bake for 55 minutes. If using a 9×5" pan, you can put the batter into one pan, but you will need to cook 10-15 minutes longer. You want the bread to be lightly browned. If it's browning too fast, cover lightly with foil. Remove from oven once a toothpick comes clean.
- Once the bread is slightly cooled, remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack. Slice and enjoy with a cold glass of milk!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!