BEST Chocolate Chip Banana Bread – Super soft, sweet and absolutely delicious! Filled with chocolate chips and fresh banana flavor. Always requested by friends and family!
This chocolate chip banana bread is a classic recipe that I make regulary. It tastes amazing and is so soft and fluffy. If I’m in the mood to switch it up, sometimes I’ll make double chocolate banana bread or my cranberry banana bread with a powdered sugar glaze.
Chocolate chip banana bread
Today I’ll be sharing the BEST chocolate chip banana bread! I’ve tried quite a few recipes and have finally nailed down the perfect banana bread…which of course involves chocolate chips. ;) It’s always requested by friends and family and is super soft, sweet and absolutely delicious!
You can leave out the chocolate chips, but in my opinion, they make the bread! Also, feel free to add in some chopped walnuts or pecans too. My family prefers the bread without them, so we stick to straight chocolate chips. And who can argue with that?! ;)
Can bananas be too ripe to use in banana bread?
The best part about making this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is that it’s the perfect way to use up those overripe bananas. I love bananas, but the second they get soft and spotty, I won’t eat them plain. So what better way to make use of them than to bake this chocolate chip banana bread.
Bananas that are soft, spotty and a tad dark on the inside (similar to the above picture) are perfect for making this banana bread recipe. I prefer not to use bananas that have blackened, because they taste a little more rotten to me. Just a personal preference!
I also like to freeze my overripe bananas if I’m not planning on making this chocolate chip banana bread recipe right away. Just peel the bananas, then place them in a zip top freezer bag and store in freezer. When ready to use, thaw at room temp until no longer frozen. You can also use these frozen bananas in smoothies, too!
How do you make the best chocolate chip banana bread?
This chocolate chip banana bread is super easy to make. The hardest part is waiting that whole hour for it to bake. ;) You can also make banana muffins with this recipe too. We make those a lot and will freeze half the batch. Scroll down for printable recipe and video tutorial.
- Preheat oven and spray loaf pans with non-stick spray.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl using a hand mixer. Then add eggs, vanilla and sour cream and mix again.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl and whisk. Slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir.
- Fold in bananas and chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into 2 large loaf pans and bake for 55 minutes, or until light browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove chocolate chip banana bread from pan and place on cooling rack. Enjoy!
Optional add-ins for chocolate chip banana bread recipe
While I usually just stick with the banana and chocolate chip combo, feel free to add in any of the below ingredients when making this chocolate chip banana bread!
- Banana slices on top
- Peanut butter
- Fresh fruit, such as raspberries, cranberries or cherries
Chocolate chip banana bread muffins
You can easily make this recipe into chocolate chip banana bread muffins instead. To make muffins, just pour batter into muffin tin lined with muffin liners or sprayed with non-stick spray. This recipe will make 24 regular-sized muffins. Bake chocolate chip banana bread muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Then transfer muffins to a baking rack to cool.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 stick butter
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Then mix in eggs, vanilla and sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to sugar mixture and stir until combined. Fold in bananas and chocolate chips.
- Pour into 2 (8x4) loaf pans and bake for 55 minutes. If using a 9x5 pan you can put the batter into one pan, but you will need to cook 10-15 minutes longer. You want the bread to be lightly browned. If it's browning too fast, cover lightly with foil. Remove from oven once a toothpick comes clean.
- Once the bread is slightly cooled, remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy with a cold glass of milk!
We love to serve this chocolate chip banana bread warm with butter on top. :) Enjoy!