Heavenly double chocolate banana bread -so soft and bursting with banana and chocolate flavor. The perfect recipe to use up ripe bananas!
Banana bread is a staple at our house. We make it at least once a month (if not weekly). We absolutely love my classic chocolate chip banana bread, however adding the extra chocolate makes it feel extra special. I adapted that recipe to make this double chocolate banana bread. My kids always get so excited when the bananas are over ripe, so we can start baking. Sometimes we’re known to hide bananas, just for the sake of making banana bread!
Double chocolate banana bread
Chocolate meets banana in this delicious quick bread. The cocoa in the batter and chocolate chunks studded throughout add the perfect flavor to this bread. This recipe is so easy to make and has the perfect balance of chocolate and bananas. It is very moist and rich in flavor. It could almost pass off as chocolate cake, but then we wouldn’t be able to eat it for breakfast…. and I’m all about eating banana bread for breakfast. ;)
The secret ingredient in this banana bread is the sour cream. You could also substitute plain greek yogurt. Don’t worry, you can’t taste it but it makes the bread so soft and tender. I can’t wait to make this again!
For more recipes using bananas, check out these:
- Favorite classic banana bread
- Banana nutella muffins
- Banana bars with brown butter frosting
- Banana cream pie
- Banana magic cake
Chocolate banana bread recipe
Double chocolate banana bread
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease two bread pans and then set aside. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Then mix in eggs. Next add the vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to sugar mixture and stir until combined. Fold in bananas and chocolate chips (reserve a few for the top). Top with with extra chocolate chips if desired. Pour into 2 large loaf pans or 4 small loaf pans. You can also make 24 muffins with this recipe.
- Bake for 1 hour in a loaf pan, 35-45 minutes in a small loaf pan or 22-25 minutes in a muffin pan. Make sure it comes clean with a toothpick.
- Once the bread is cooked, allow to cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes and then remove the bread and place on a cooling rack.
- Slice and enjoy with a cold glass of milk!
Double chocolate banana bread variations
This recipe also makes great muffins. Simply line a muffin pan with liners or spray with non-stick spray and fill 2/3 the way full. You’ll only bake the muffins for about 20 minutes.
Another fun variation for my chocolate peanut butter fans out there is to drizzle a peanut butter glaze over the top of the bread. Simply melt 1/4 cup peanut butter in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and then drizzle over the top. If you want even more peanut butter flavor, substitute half the chocolate chips for peanut butter chips in the batter.
Either way it’s delicious and I hope you give it a try next time you find yourself with a bunch of ripe bananas! Enjoy!