This cranberry banana bread is bursting with fresh cranberries, white chocolate chips and topped with a powdered sugar glaze. So soft and full of flavor!
I had some extra cranberries in the fridge, some old bananas and thought I would try something new. I adapted this recipe from my favorite banana bread recipe and it turned out amazing! I love cranberry recipes like this cranberry salad, cranberry salsa and cranberry sauce so it was fun to use them in a quick bread.
The white chocolate chips end up melting inside the bread (so you won’t have big chunks), but it spreads the most delicious flavor throughout every bite of this banana bread. Let’s be honest, it’s pretty much a dessert. Once fresh cranberries go out of season, you could also use dried cranberries, but I really love the extra punch of flavor and texture the fresh cranberries give. I love adding a few extra berries on top. So festive for the holidays!
How to make cranberry bread
This cranberry bread is super easy to make in one bowl. I love that you can use old old bananas and cranberries.
- Cream: Simply cream the butter and sugars. Make sure it gets nice and creamy.
- Add the ingredients: Then mix in eggs, vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to butter mixture and stir until combined.
- Fold in bananas, cranberries and chocolate chips (or chopped nuts).
- Pour into two greased and bake for an hour at 325°F.
- Slice: Once it’s all done, allow it to cool slightly and then slice it into nice thick slices.
- Leave out the white chocolate chips or swap for chocolate chips depending on your preference.
- Add in 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts for extra flavor.
- Add a glaze if you’d like to sweeten it up. For the glaze I kept it simple and whisked together a little powdered sugar and milk. You could even skip the glaze, but it makes it so pretty. I love the white against the red.
- Test the bread with a toothpick to insure the bread is done in the center.
- If the bread starts to brown before the center is done, lightly cover with foil.
The banana cranberry bread was gone in no time! Everyone loved it, even my picky one. ;)
More banana bread recipes
- Simple banana bread (a classic favorite)
- Chocolate chip banana bread (my kids favorite)
- Banana bread muffins
Banana Cranberry Bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , 1 stick
- 1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas ,about 3 small bananas
- 1 cup fresh cranberries ,can substitute for dried
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips , or chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray two bread pans with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Then mix in eggs, vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to sugar mixture and stir until combined. Fold in bananas, cranberries and chocolate chips or nuts. Pour into 2 large loaf pans. You may also use four small loaf pans or make a muffin pan.
- Bake for 1 hour in a loaf pan, 35-45 minutes in a small loaf pan or 25 min in a muffin pan. You want the bread to be lightly browned. Cover with foil while baking if it begins to brown too fast. Test the center of the bread to make sure it comes clean with a toothpick.
- Once the bread is cooked, remove the bread from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
You can also bake this cranberry banana bread in little baking dishes (I found these ones at Michaels for $1 last year). Then I packaged them up with clear wrap and a fun bow. Perfect treat for friends and neighbors.
If you don’t have any leftover cranberries, add them to your shopping list. You must make this before the end of the year. Mmm… so good. Off to add cranberries back onto my shopping list! ;)