This easy shepherd’s pie is a quick twist on the classic recipe that’s hearty, comforting and delicious! Makes a great weeknight dish that will become an instant favorite!
When I think of comfort food, I immediately think of shepherd’s pie or chicken pot pie. Both are so warm, hearty and full of rich flavors. This recipe is a bit easier to whip up than a homemade pot pie, which makes it perfect for when you’re craving something comforting but don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen.
Shepherd’s pie has been a favorite dish of mine for years. This isn’t your traditional recipe, but I prefer it. I remember making this meal with my grandma as a little girl. I would always sneak bites of the mashed potatoes. They’re my favorite! She didn’t care. I remember her whispering to me “throw in more butter…throw in some cream.” ;)
This isn’t exactly the “prettiest” dish, but it is oh so good! It’s the perfect comfort food. We love it around here and don’t make it nearly enough. It’s so delicious!
- Meat: Ground beef (aka hamburger meat) gives this dish a hearty and delicious flavor.
- Veggies: This recipe calls for chopped onions and canned green beans. Feel free to add in other veggies like peas, corn or chopped carrots. I usually add in whichever veggies I have on hand to bulk it up a little more.
- Sauce: This is the main shortcut! Use a can of tomato soup in place of making a homemade sauce. It’s mixed with creole seasoning for extra flavor and adds the perfect thick consistency. Trust me, no one will know the difference!
- Potatoes: You can make homemade mashed potatoes, or use pre-made for convenience if you’re short on time.
How to make shepherd’s pie
- Cook on skillet. Add ground beef and chopped onions to a large skillet and cook over medium heat until the meat has browned. Drain any excess grease, then stir in the creole, tomato soup and green beans. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Assemble. Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish and spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top. Then add a sprinkle of shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake. Bake uncovered in the oven at 350°F until the cheese is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
Make ahead + freezing
- To make ahead: You can make this shepherd’s pie 1-2 days in advance if desired. Simply cook ingredients on the skillet (hamburger, onions, creole, tomato sauce, green beans) and pour in a baking dish. Let cool completely, then cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and place in fridge. When ready to serve, top with mashed potatoes and shredded cheese if desired. Then bake uncovered in the oven until bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- To freeze: If you are planning on freezing this dish, I’d recommend baking it first prior to freezing. Simply bake uncovered in oven for 15 minutes, then let cool completely. Tightly wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place in the freezer (make sure it’s level and laying flat). The shepherd’s pie can be frozen for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake until bubbly and warmed throughout.
Other easy comfort foods:
- Sloppy joes
- Instant pot meatloaf
- Crockpot Italian chicken
- Mississippi pot roast
- Chili and cornbread skillet
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon creole , or seasoned salt
- 20 ounce can tomato soup , do not add water
- 14 ounce can green beans
- 4 cups cooked mashed potatoes
Optional: 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, add additional vegetables if desired such as diced carrots, corn or peas
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x9 or 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the hamburger and onions in a skillet over medium heat. Salt and pepper to taste. Then add in creole, tomato soup and green beans. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour soup mixture into the baking dish. Then spread the mashed potatoes over top. Cover with shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes uncovered, or until bubbly.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!