Homemade Shepherd’s Pie – A quick and easy twist on the classic shepherd’s pie recipe that’s hearty, comforting and delicious! Makes a great weeknight dish that will become an instant favorite!
If you’re looking for comfort food, this easy shepherd’s pie is a great recipe to whip up. It’s hearty and full of rich flavors. Some of my other favorite comfort food recipes are chicken pot pie, sloppy joe’s, crockpot potato soup and pot roast.
Easy shepherd’s pie
Shepherd’s pie has been a favorite dish of mine for years. This isn’t your traditional shepherds pie recipe, but I prefer it. I remember making this meal with my grandma as a little girl. I would always sneak bites of mashed potatoes. They’re my favorite! She didn’t care. I remember her whispering to me “throw in more butter… throw in some cream.” ;)
This shepherd’s pie isn’t exactly the “prettiest” dish, but it is oh so good! It’s the perfect comfort food. We love it around here and don’t make it nearly enough. It’s so delicious!
What is shepherd’s pie made of?
I love that this shepherd’s pie is made with simple ingredients! I like to make homemade mashed potatoes, but you can easily use pre-made for convenience if you’re short on time. Check out all of the ingredients needed below.
- Chopped onions
- Tomato soup
- Green beans
- Mashed potatoes
- Creole or seasoned salt
- Salt and pepper
How to make shepherd’s pie
Scroll down for the printable shepherds pie recipe.
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a 9×9 or 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook ingredients on skillet. Add hamburger and onions to skillet and cook over medium heat. S&P to taste. Then stir in creole, tomato soup and green beans and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Assemble mixture in baking dish. Pour mixture in baking dish and spread mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle on cheese if desired.
- Bake and enjoy! Bake uncovered until bubbly, about 15 minutes.
Note: Feel free to add in extra veggies if desired like carrots, corn or peas. Yum!
Can shepherd’s pie be made ahead of time?
You can make this shepherd’s pie 1-2 days in advance if desired. Simply cook ingredients on the skillet (hamburger, onions, creole, tomato sauce, green beans) and pour in a baking dish. Let cool completely, then cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and place in fridge. When ready to serve, top with mashed potatoes and shredded cheese if desired. Then bake uncovered in the oven until bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Can shepherd’s pie be frozen?
If you are planning on freezing the shepherds pie, I’d recommend baking it first prior to freezing. Simply bake uncovered in oven for 15 minutes, then let cool completely. Tightly wrap in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place in the freezer (make sure it’s level and laying flat). The shepherd’s pie can be frozen for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake until bubbly and warmed throughout.
What can shepherd’s pie be served with?
If you’re looking to serve this shepherd’s pie with a couple of side dishes, I’d recommend some fresh veggies like peas, cauliflower or glazed carrots. It also tastes great served with fresh bread or rolls. Yum!
Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon creole , or seasoned salt
- 20 ounce can tomato soup , do not add water
- 14 ounce can green beans
- 4 cups cooked mashed potatoes
Optional: 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, add additional vegetables if desired such as diced carrots, corn or peas
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x9 or 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the hamburger and onions in a skillet over medium heat. Salt and pepper to taste. Then add in creole, tomato soup and green beans. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour soup mixture into the baking dish. Then spread the mashed potatoes over top. Cover with shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes uncovered, or until bubbly.
So have you tried Shepherd’s Pie?! I hope you enjoy!