Smooth, fluffy and creamy mashed potatoes that take just 30 minutes to make! My all time favorite side dish recipe and a must-make for Thanksgiving.
I must say…creamy mashed potatoes have to be one of my favorite foods. I know I’m weird…but I always order them (or some type of potato) as a side at restaurants. Yes, I even did this at a pizza joint last week and I’m so glad I did because they were amazing.
I still remember helping my grandma make them for Sunday dinner as a little girl. I soon became her best “masher.” She would always ask me how many potatoes we should cook and I’d tell her the whole bag of course. ;)
My grandma taught me the art of good mashed potatoes. That of course involves lots of butter and cream. Yes cream! I also add in a little cream cheese which makes them extra creamy. Mmm…
This recipe tastes amazing topped with lots of gravy or melted cheese and bacon. Seriously, the perfect comfort food and Thanksgiving side dish.
What potatoes are best to use?
I’ll typically buy russets or Yukon golds. They are starchy and help to make the consistency creamy and fluffy. Other varieties of potatoes are a bit more difficult to mash, which could interfere with the smooth texture.
I like to buy about 5 pounds in order to make this recipe. It makes enough to serve about 8 people. If you’re cooking for a larger crowd, you can double it!
How to make creamy mashed potatoes
- Boil water. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook potatoes. Peel and dice potatoes. Place potatoes in pot for about 20-30 minutes. Once tender, drain and add back to pot.
- Add butter and cream. Add butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, salt and pepper to pot and mash. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy! Serve plain, with gravy or melted cheese and bacon on top.
TIP: For a super creamy texture, use an electric mixer to mash and add 1-2 additional Tablespoons heavy cream.
What can I add to mashed potatoes?
These creamy mashed potatoes taste great on their own, but you can’t go wrong adding any toppings either! Below are a few of my favorites.
This delicious side dish tastes amazing served alongside meats, vegetables, salads…you name it. Below are a few of my favorites!
- Meats: Serve with meats such as turkey, ham, roasted chicken, steak and pork.
- Side dishes: They pair perfectly with cranberry sauce, mac and cheese and corn casserole.
- Vegetables: Try serving with roasted mixed veggies or parmesan broccoli and carrots.
- Salads: For a lower carb option, I like to pair them with this apple cranberry spinach salad.
- Meatballs: If you’ve never served meatballs over mashed potatoes, you have to try it! So hearty and delicious.
More potato dishes:
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Potato Skins
- Savory Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- The PERFECT Baked Potato
Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 5 pounds potatoes (peeled, washed and cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick salted butter (1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fill a large pot of water and bring water to a boil with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Peel and wash potatoes. Dice into 2 inch pieces. Place potatoes in the pan and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until a fork inserts easily. Drain potatoes and place back in pan. Let steam evaporate.
- Add butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher. If you want them extra creamy, use an electric mixer. Add a Tablespoon or two more heavy creamy if you’d like them even creamier.
- You can also add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy plain, with gravy or melted cheese on top.