Mickey Mouse Beignets – these adorable beignets are simple to make and addictingly delicious. A fun way to enjoy a tasty Disneyland treat at home!
I still remember the first time I ever tried a beignet. My husband and I were newlyweds, living in our first apartment, and a beignet shop opened right around the corner from us. I had never heard of beignets before, and wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but that first bite of pillow-y fried dough dusted with powdered sugar was pure heaven. If you haven’t tried them before, this recipe is the perfect way to get started!
Lately, my daughter has been obsessed with all things Mickey Mouse, so I thought it would be fun to make these beignets Mickey-shaped. I’ve heard from many friends how delicious the Mickey Mouse beignets at Disneyland are, and I think this homemade version definitely lives up to the reputation. They start with a simple yeast dough that is mixed up quickly and allowed to rise for about two hours. Once the dough has risen, it’s rolled out and cut into Mickey Mouse shapes. My cookie cutter is Wilton brand and I found it on Amazon.
It’s a good idea to keep an eye on the temperature of your oil. You want it to stay right around 350 so the beignets will brown nicely and get cooked through without getting burned.
It only takes 30-60 seconds per side for the beignets to get golden brown. If your beignets are bigger than mine were (about 3 inches) they may take longer to cook.
After they’re done, let them cool down on some paper towels. They already look fantastic!
The final step is to dust them with powdered sugar. You can sprinkle it over the top, like I did, or you can toss them in a paper bag with some powdered sugar instead. Yum!
They’re chewy and crisp on the outside, and so light and soft on the inside. They are little bites of heaven and you will definitely not be able to stop snacking on them!
Mickey Mouse Beignets
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 cups flour (3 to 3 1/2 cups flour)
- 2 Tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- oil, for deep frying
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit ten minutes, until bubbly.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the egg, salt, and evaporated milk. Add the milk mixture to the yeast mixture and stir to combine. Add 2 cups of the flour and mix to combine, then stir in the shortening.
- Add additional flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl and forms a soft dough that is slightly tacky to the touch. Form the dough into a ball, place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise two hours.
- When the dough has risen, heat the oil in a heavy pot or dutch oven to 350. Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thick and cut with a cookie cutter into Mickey Mouse shapes. Carefully lower the cut outs into the oil and cook for 30-60 seconds on each side, or until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels for 5 minutes. After the beignets have cooled slightly, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
If you love this delicious, sweet recipe, you’ll enjoy these too!