Homemade caramel sauce made with only 3 ingredients and done in just 15 minutes! Rich, decadent and full of amazing caramel flavor. This stuff is pure liquid gold!
I’m a big caramel lover and could literally eat spoonful’s upon spoonful’s of this delicious sauce. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I do. ;) I also love to make microwave caramel candy, homemade toffee and microwave caramel corn.
Okay guys…let’s get real here. I am obsessed with ALL things caramel. If there was a swimming pool full of this homemade caramel sauce, I would dive right in. It is seriously that good!
My grandma used to make this recipe and drizzle it over homemade vanilla ice cream. It is seriously divine! I like to add a sprinkle of fine sea salt to my caramel…it takes it over the top!
When my family got a hold of this sauce, they were literally eating it by the spoon! It is that good. It’s great on ice cream, bars, cakes, and just about anything else. This stuff is pure liquid gold I tell ya! Seriously…are you drooling yet?
3 simple ingredients
This recipes takes only 3 simple ingredients to make and comes together so quickly! The ingredients cook up together on the stove to make the most divine homemade caramel ever.
- Heavy Cream
How to make caramel
It only takes 15 minutes from start to finish to make this delicious recipe! I love that it cooks up so quickly and is so easy to make. Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Heat sugar over medium heat in a medium sauce pan, stirring every minute or so (for about 5-7 minutes). Check out the photo above to see the process it will go through. If it it taking awhile for the sugar to melt you can add in a Tablespoon of water.
- When sugar has liquefied, reduce heat to medium-low and add butter. With a spoon, stir butter until completely melted and bubbly (1-2 mins).
- Then slowly pour in heavy cream until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and constantly stir for 1 minute.
- Cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer to a jar.
Favorite ways to use it
- Ice Cream: This sauce tastes incredible on ice cream! We like to use it when making banana splits or simply just drizzle on top of a bowl of vanilla ice cream.
- Desserts: There are SO many different dessert recipes that this caramel sauce can be used for. A few of my favorites are apple pie bars, better than anything cake and apple cheesecake.
- Fruit: We love to dip sliced apples into a big bowl of this homemade caramel. It also tastes amazing drizzled on top of baked peaches.
- Pancakes: We love serving it over buttermilk pancakes, crepes and french toast…tastes like dessert!
- Drinks: Drizzle on top of a glass of caramel apple cider.
To make salted caramel sauce, simply add 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt (or more to taste). I find it best to add the salt once you’ve transferred the caramel to a jar. Adding the sea salt really takes this recipe over the top and makes the best sweet and salty combo!
Make sure it has cooled completely, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. I find it easiest to store in a glass jar (such a mason jar) with a lid. Before serving, warm in microwave for about 30 seconds.
More delicious desserts:
Homemade Caramel Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter , room temp
- 3/4 cup heavy cream , room temp
For salted caramel sauce: Add 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (more to taste)
- In a medium sauce pan, heat sugar over medium heat. Stir every minute (about 5-7 minutes) with a whisk, spoon or rubber spatula. The sugar will first get clumpy and then start to melt into a liquid.
- When the sugar has turned to a liquid, reduce the heat to medium-low. Add butter right away. Grab a new spoon and keep stirring until butter is completely melted and bubbly (about 1-2 minutes).
- Slowly pour in heavy cream until it comes to a boil. Then remove from heat and stir constantly for one minute. Add salt if desired. Then let cool for a few minutes in the pan and then transfer to a jar. It will thicken as it cools.
- Store in a mason jar for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator. Warm in the microwave 30 seconds before serving.