Homemade Caramel Sauce – Made with only 3 ingredients and done in just 15 minutes! Rich, decadent and full of amazing caramel flavor. This caramel sauce is pure liquid gold!
I’m a big caramel lover and could literally eat spoonfuls upon spoonfuls of this delicious caramel sauce. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I do. ;) I also love to make microwave caramel candy, homemade toffee and caramel topped chocolate fudge.
Okay guys…let’s get real here. I am obsessed with ALL things caramel. If there was a swimming pool full of this homemade caramel sauce, I would dive right in. It is seriously that good!
My grandma used to make this caramel sauce recipe and drizzle it over homemade vanilla ice cream. It is seriously divine! I like to add a sprinkle of fine sea salt to my caramel…it takes it over the top!
When my family got a hold of this caramel sauce, they were literally eating it by the spoon! It is that good. The homemade caramel is great on ice cream, bars, cakes, and just about anything else. This stuff is pure liquid gold I tell ya! Seriously…are you drooling yet?
What are the ingredients in caramel?
This caramel sauce recipes takes only 3 simple ingredients to make and comes together so quickly! The ingredients cook up together on the stove to make the most divine homemade caramel ever.
- Heavy Cream
How to make caramel
It only takes 15 minutes from start to finish to make this delicious caramel recipe! I love that it cooks up so quickly and is so easy to make. Scroll down for the printable caramel sauce recipe.
- Heat sugar over medium heat in a medium sauce pan, stirring every minute or so (for about 5-7 minutes). Check out the photo above to see the process it will go through. If it it taking awhile for the sugar to melt you can add in a Tablespoon of water.
- When sugar has liquefied, reduce heat to medium-low and add butter. With a spoon, stir butter until completely melted and bubbly (1-2 mins).
- Then slowly pour in heavy cream until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and constantly stir for 1 minute.
- Cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer to a jar.
Favorite ways to use caramel sauce
Fruit: We love to dip sliced apples into a big bowl of this homemade caramel. It also tastes amazing drizzled on top of baked peaches.
How do you make salted caramel sauce?
To make salted caramel sauce, simply add 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt (or more to taste). I find it best to add the salt once you’ve transferred the caramel to a jar. Adding the sea salt really takes this caramel recipe over the top and makes the best sweet and salty combo!
Does caramel sauce need to be refrigerated?
Yes, you need to refrigerate this caramel sauce recipe. Just cover the glass jar with a lid and place in the refrigerator once the caramel has cooled completely. Before serving, warm in microwave for about 30 seconds.
How long does homemade caramel sauce last?
This caramel sauce will last for about 3 weeks if stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I find it easiest to store in a glass jar (such a mason jar) with a lid.
Homemade Caramel Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter (room temp)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (room temp)
For salted caramel sauce: Add 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (more to taste)
- In a medium sauce pan, heat sugar over medium heat. Stir every minute (about 5-7 minutes) with a whisk, spoon or rubber spatula. The sugar will first get clumpy and then start to melt into a liquid.
- When the sugar has turned to a liquid, reduce the heat to medium-low. Add butter right away. Grab a new spoon and keep stirring until butter is completely melted and bubbly (about 1-2 minutes).
- Slowly pour in heavy cream until it comes to a boil. Then remove from heat and stir constantly for one minute. Add salt if desired. Then let cool for a few minutes in the pan and then transfer to a jar. It will thicken as it cools.
- Store caramel sauce in a mason jar for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator. Warm in the microwave 30 seconds before serving.
FREE printable for salted caramel sauce
Package up this caramel sauce and your friends and family will love you forever. You can even attach with one of these cute salted caramel sauce tags.
TO DOWNLOAD CARAMEL SAUCE PRINTABLE:
Enter your info below to snag your free caramel sauce printable:
Instructions: Download the free printable, save to your computer and print. I cut out with this 2 inch punch and then tied onto my jar with twine.