Now that fall is here all I want for dinner is soup! There’s nothing that taste better than warm soup on a cold day. Creamy potato and ham soup is by far my favorite kind. I had some leftover ham last week and decided to put it to good use. ;)
I’ve been looking for the perfect potato soup recipe for years and it is hard to find. I’ve played around with this recipe quite a bit and the truth is… the half and half makes all the difference. It definitely takes this soup out of the “low-fat” category… but it really is what makes this creamy potato and ham soup delicious!
Creamy potato and ham soup
- 4 potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup diced celery (or peas)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup diced ham ( I used leftover honey baked ham, but a steak ham works great too)
- 3 cubes chicken bouillon
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- Combine potatoes, celery, onion, ham , carrots and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are soft. Next, stir in the chicken bouillon cubes, salt and pepper.
- In a separate pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour with a fork, stirring constantly until thick ( about 1 minute). Slowly stir in milk and half and half with the fork. Next add in minced garlic and continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick.
- Pour the flour mixture into the stock pot and stir until combined. Serve with shredded cheese on top. Enjoy!
Looking for more soup recipes? Here are a few of my favorite:
World’s best taco soup recipe
15 delicious warm soups
Also don’t miss 50 slow cooker recipes