Broccoli and Cheese Soup – Creamy, delicious and ready to go in 30 minutes! Tastes just like Panera broccoli cheddar soup and is so easy to make! Serve in a homemade bread bowl to take this broccoli cheese soup recipe over the top!
There’s something about a creamy soup recipe that is so comforting and delicious. This broccoli cheese soup is a family favorite and is so rich and flavorful. We also love chicken gnocchi soup, crockpot potato soup, chicken pot pie soup and white chicken chili.
Broccoli cheese soup
This broccoli cheese soup recipe was inspired by a little bakery that I visited in NYC. Their broccoli cheddar soup was served in a bread bowl and was my absolute favorite! So creamy, cheesy and delicious.
It also reminds me of the Panera broccoli cheddar soup. I’ve tried making it numerous times and have never seemed to get the ingredients right. But I finally perfected it and the recipe is SO delicious!
This broccoli and cheese soup is rich, creamy and perfect for a cold winter day. Heck, I’d even eat this soup on a hot summer day! It’s just that good! We served it in homemade bread bowls and my whole family absolutely loved it. We can’t wait to make this broccoli and cheddar soup again!
Ingredients for broccoli cheddar soup
After testing this broccoli cheese soup out with several different combinations of ingredients, I was finally able to perfect it! Below are the ingredients you’ll need to get started.
- Chicken stock
- Half and half
- Carrots (shredded)
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Spices: kosher salt, white pepper & nutmeg
How do you make easy broccoli and cheese soup?
Scroll down for the printable broccoli cheese soup recipe and video tutorial.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium to low heat, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in flour and cook until golden brown.
- Add in chicken stock, half and half, salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir. Cook for 5-10 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Then add broccoli and carrots. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix in cheese and stir until just combined. Serve in bread bowls or with rolls.
How do you thicken broccoli and cheese soup?
The consistency of this broccoli cheddar soup is already super thick and creamy…but if you’d like to make it thicker, you can! Just add in an extra tablespoon or so of flour (or cornstarch) and this will help the soup to thicken up even more.
How long will broccoli cheese soup last in the fridge?
This easy broccoli cheddar soup will keep in the fridge for about 3-4 days. The leftovers make the perfect comforting lunch or dinner and are even better the next day!
Can broccoli cheese soup be frozen?
Because of the creamy base, this broccoli cheddar soup doesn’t hold up that well in the freezer. The dairy included in the soup can cause separation, which will affect the consistency of the soup. I’d recommend making this broccoli cheese soup on a week where you know you’ll be able to get through the leftovers in 3 to 4 days. You can reheat the soup in the microwave or on the stove top until it’s warmed throughout.
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-2 cups steamed broccoli (cut into small pieces)
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots (steamed)
- 2-2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large pan, begin to melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add minced garlic and let cook for about a minute. Whisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes, just until golden brown.
- Slowly add in chicken stock, half-and-half, kosher salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Stir together and let cook for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the broccoli and carrots and let simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- Mix in the cheese and stir until just combined. Serve in bread bowls or with rolls.
I hope you love this easy broccoli cheddar soup as much as we did! Enjoy! :)