All the flavors that you love about chicken pot pie, but saves you time and calories! This chicken pot pie soup is creamy, hearty and super delicious.
This is one of my favorite soup recipes for fall and winter. It’s the perfect comfort meal on a chilly night. It will be on repeat all season long, as well as ham and bean soup, corn chowder and crockpot potato soup.
This chicken pot pie soup is adapted from my family’s favorite chicken pot pie recipe. It has all the flavors that you love about chicken pot pie, but saves you time and calories. The best part is that it’s made in ONE pot, so less dishes as well! Don’t get me wrong, I will still be making chicken pot pie often, but this soup version will also be on repeat!
We love serving this soup with homemade biscuits or dinner rolls, however you could serve with oyster crackers or just enjoy as is. It’s hearty and SO delicious! It’s one meal I can count on all my kids enjoying.
How to make chicken pot pie soup
- SAUTE. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Then add potatoes, carrots, celery and onion and cook until onions are tender (roughly 5 minutes).
- BOIL. Next stir in the flour until blended. Then slowly add chicken broth, salt, pepper, thyme and nutmeg and bring to a light boil over medium high heat. Make sure to stir occasionally. Boil until the potatoes are fork tender.
- STIR. Reduce heat to low so the soup is no longer at a boil. Then add a spoonful of the soup to the half and half to temper it. Stir together and then slow stir into the soup. Add the chicken and frozen peas. Heat through and then add more salt, pepper and thyme if desired.
Slow cooker version
This dish can easily be made in the slow cooker as well. Follow these simple steps to get started.
- Place chicken (recommend using frozen), potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, peas, stock, butter, salt, pepper, thyme and nutmeg in the crock pot.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken from crock pot, shred, and add back in.
- Then in a small bowl, mix together half and half and flour until smooth. Add to crock pot, stir and cook on high for about an hour, until thick and creamy.
Thickening the soup
If you’d like your soup extra thick and creamy, try mixing in some additional cornstarch. In a small bowl, mix together 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 Tablespoons of cold water, then pour in the soup and stir. Continue to add by the Tablespoon until you reach desired creaminess.
Once cooled, store soup in an airtight container or freezer bag and place in the freezer. To thaw, stick in the fridge overnight. I prefer to warm mine back up on the stove, however you can stick in the microwave too. If it thickens up too much while in the freezer, feel free to add a splash of chicken broth to help make the consistency more ‘soupy’ again.
More helpful tips
- Feel free to add in more veggies like corn, mushrooms or green beans.
- Use a rotisserie chicken to make this recipe a little easier.
- Instead of chicken, leftover roasted turkey would also taste delicious.
- Can sub milk for half and half if you’d like to lighten it up a bit.
- Sometimes I’ll serve mine with pie crust pieces. Just bake the pie crust (homemade or store bought) until brown and crispy, then break into pieces and top your soup with desired amount!
More soup recipes you’ll love:
- Chicken gnocchi soup
- Chicken and rice soup
- Leftover turkey soup
- Chicken noodle soup
- Instant pot potato soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (cooked turkey will work too)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Cook until the onions are tender (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the flour until blended. Then slowly add the chicken broth, salt , pepper, thyme and nutmeg. Bring to a light boil over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Boil until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Reduce the heat to low so it is no longer at a boil. Then add a spoonful or the soup to the half and half to temper it. Stir together and then slow stir into the soup. Add the chicken and frozen peas. Heat through and then add more salt, pepper and thyme if desired.
- Serve warm with biscuits or crackers.
- Add chicken (recommend using frozen), potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, peas, stock, butter, salt, pepper, thyme and nutmeg to crockpot.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours. Remove and shred chicken, then add back in.
- In a small bowl, mix together half and half and flour until smooth. Add to crockpot, stir and cook on high for about an hour until thick and creamy.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!