Corn Chowder – A comforting and delicious corn chowder recipe packed with corn, potatoes and bacon. Full of flavor and simple to make. This corn chowder soup is perfect for fall or winter!
Corn chowder soup
We love this delicious corn chowder on a chilly fall day. It’s starting to feel like fall in Oregon and I cannot wait! I woke up this morning to go on a walk and had to put on a jacket. I love this time of year and making lots of soup recipes for dinner.
This corn chowder is very filling and a recipe that the whole family will enjoy. If you’d like to add in more veggies, you can also add in some shredded carrots, bell peppers and chopped celery. I like to top my bowl of soup with extra bacon pieces, shredded cheese and green onions. Absolutely delicious and so comforting!
Favorite toppings for corn chowder
Shredded cheese: I like to top my corn chowder with cheddar cheese, however you can use shredded cheese of preference. If you like a little kick, pepper jack would be delicious too.
Green onions: These green onions help to give the soup recipe an extra boost of fresh flavor.
Bacon pieces: The bacon in this corn chowder soup makes it taste absolutely incredible. I top mine with a few extra bacon pieces for added flavor and crunch.
Salt and pepper: Right before eating, I top my bowl of corn chowder with a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
Quick tips for corn chowder recipe
- I love using a mix of both plain corn and creamed corn as it gives the perfect texture, but you could definitely use one or the other if you prefer. If you have fresh corn on hand, you could always use that as well as frozen.
- To make this recipe for corn chowder a bit creamier, try blending some of it. Start with blending about 1/4 cup, then add blended portion back in. Continue to blend in 1/4 increments until desired texture is reached.
- I like to add shredded cheese on top of my soup, however you can mix it into the whole pot of soup to make it a cheesy corn chowder.
- To add more veggies, try including shredded carrots, bell peppers or celery.
- Corn chowder recipe will last about 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Corn Chowder Recipe
Corn Chowder - A comforting and delicious corn chowder recipe packed with corn, potatoes and bacon. Full of flavor and simple to make. This corn chowder soup is perfect for fall or winter!
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 small red potatoes (chopped and peeled if desired)
- 15 ounces canned corn (1 can, drained)
- 15 ounces creamed corn (1 can)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whole milk (warmed)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
Optional toppings: Shredded cheese and sliced green onions
Cook the bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once cooked, remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Leave about 1/2 Tablespoon of grease in the pan.
Add the butter to the pan with the onions. Cook for 3 minutes then stir in the flour. Slowly stir in the chicken broth.
Add in the red potatoes, corn, creamed corn, salt and nutmeg. Bring to a light bowl and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Add the milk into the soup and simmer until it has begin to thicken. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve with cheese and green onions if desired.