This homemade chicken gnocchi soup is the perfect comfort food… creamy, hearty and delicious! Only takes one pot and 30 minutes to make. This is the BEST chicken gnocchi soup recipe!
There’s something about a bowl of creamy and delicious soup that does the trick every time. This gnocchi soup is one of my favorites, along with taco soup, lasagna soup, hearty vegetable soup and cabbage soup.
Chicken gnocchi soup
Last year we visited my BIL and SIL in New York for their baby’s blessing and she made the most delicious chicken gnocchi soup while we were there. It tasted like Olive Garden’s chicken gnocchi soup. I knew once I got home that I had to get the recipe and make it for my family. This gnocchi soup is so creamy, rich and delicious. It’s definitely a new family favorite.
I had never tried gnocchi until I got married, but have made several recipes with it ever since. I also love to get the Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup whenever they have it on the menu as well. This chicken gnocchi soup recipe is SO easy to make and can be made in one pot in 30 minutes. You can’t beat that! Enjoy this chicken gnocchi soup for lunch, dinner, or whenever! It’s a comforting home cooked meal that the whole family will love!
And now that fall is almost here, I know we’ll be making this olive garden chicken gnocchi soup A LOT more over the next few months. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait for cooler weather. I could eat soup recipes and bread sticks every day during the fall. Mmm…
What is in gnocchi?
Gnocchi is basically just mini dumplings made from potato and flour. They are dense, yet soft dumplings that are small in size and typically have ridges on them to help hold sauce. My kids love to eat them with marinara, pesto, bolognese or alfredo sauce. They are also SO yummy in soup and add a great texture! I love eating them with butter and parmesan cheese for a simple lunch as well.
Where is gnocchi found in the grocery store?
If you’ve never tried gnocchi, you can find it in the pasta section at any store. It’s usually vacuum packed to keep it’s freshness. Sometimes it’s also sold in the frozen foods section near other frozen pasta such as ravioli and tortellini. I especially like the DeLallo brand of gnocchi which can be found in the pasta aisle.
How do you make chicken gnocchi soup?
What I love about this olive garden gnocchi soup is that it’s made in ONE pot and takes just 30 minutes! So easy and absolutely delicious. Scroll down for the printable chicken gnocchi soup recipe.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat and add in the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Then add chicken, stock, whipping cream, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Bring to a boil and then add gnocchi. Gently boil for about 4 minutes, then turn down and simmer for 10 minutes, or until it has reached desired thickness.
- Add spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted. Salt and pepper to taste.
Quick tips for chicken gnocchi soup recipe
- Make sure to chop the vegetables before getting started.
- To make this chicken gnocchi soup recipe easier, use a rotisserie chicken!
- If you prefer, you can use kale instead of spinach in this gnocchi soup.
- Try serving with a piece of warm french bread. It tastes delicious when you dip the bread in the gnocchi soup. :)
- This chicken gnocchi soup will keep in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days.
Easy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
This homemade chicken gnocchi soup is the perfect comfort food... creamy, hearty and delicious! Only takes one pot and 30 minutes to make. This is the BEST chicken gnocchi soup recipe!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1 cup carrots (sliced or shredded)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 chicken breasts cooked and shredded (or use rotisserie chicken)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 ounces mini potato gnocchi (1 package)
- 1-2 cups spinach (chopped)
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the chicken, chicken stock, whipping cream, salt, pepper and thyme. Heat to boiling and then add the gnocchi. Gently boil for 4 minutes, then turn down and simmer for 10 minutes, or until it has reached desired thickness.
Add spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted. Salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy chicken gnocchi soup while warm!
Make sure to chop the vegetables before getting started :)