This homemade chicken gnocchi soup is the perfect comfort food… creamy, hearty and delicious! Only takes one pot and 30 minutes to make.
Last year we visited my BIL and SIL in New York for their baby’s blessing and she made the most delicious chicken gnocchi soup while we were there. It tasted like Olive Garden’s chicken gnocchi soup. I knew once I got home that I had to get the recipe and make it for my family. It’s so creamy, rich and delicious. It’s definitely a new family favorite.
I had never tried gnocchi until I got married, but have made several recipes with it ever since. This recipe is SO easy to make and can be made in one pot in 30 minutes. You can’t beat that! Enjoy it for lunch, dinner, or whenever! It’s a comforting home cooked meal that the whole family will love!
What is in gnocchi?
Gnocchi is basically just mini dumplings made from potato and flour. They are dense, yet soft dumplings that are small in size and typically have ridges on them to help hold sauce. My kids love to eat them with marinara, pesto, bolognese or alfredo sauce. They are also SO yummy in soup and add a great texture! I love eating them with butter and parmesan cheese for a simple lunch as well.
Where is gnocchi found in the grocery store?
If you’ve never tried gnocchi, you can find it in the pasta section at any store. It’s usually vacuum packed to keep it’s freshness. Sometimes it’s also sold in the frozen foods section near other frozen pasta such as ravioli and tortellini. I especially like the DeLallo brand of gnocchi which can be found in the pasta aisle.
How to make chicken and gnocchi soup
SAUTE. Heat oil in a large pot, then add in chopped onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
BOIL. Add in chicken, chicken stock, whipping cream, salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil, then add gnocchi. Gently boil for about 4 minutes, then lower heat and let simmer until soup has thickened, about 10 minutes.
WILT. Add spinach and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, or until wilted. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve!
- Make sure to chop the vegetables before getting started.
- Use a rotisserie chicken to make this recipe even easier.
- You can use kale instead of spinach if preferred.
- Use gluten free gnocchi to make gluten free. DeLallo makes a great gluten free version.
- This soup will keep in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days.
More Olive Garden copycats:
Easy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1 cup carrots (sliced or shredded)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 chicken breasts cooked and shredded (or use rotisserie chicken)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 ounce package mini potato gnocchi
- 1-2 cups spinach (chopped)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken, chicken stock, whipping cream, salt, pepper and thyme. Heat to boiling and then add the gnocchi. Gently boil for 4 minutes, then turn down and simmer for 10 minutes, or until it has reached desired thickness.
- Add spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy while warm!