This oven baked ham is so easy to make and is great for beginners. You only need 5 simple ingredients and about 5 minutes to prep. It’s the perfect dish for the holidays!
If you’re new to cooking a whole ham, don’t be intimidated! It’s actually really simple and hardly requires any prep work. You can bake it in the oven, or make crockpot spiral ham if you prefer. Both ways taste super delicious!
I’m going to be honest, I actually prefer ham over roasted turkey. I always go for it first when fixing my plate at a big holiday dinner. It’s just so good!
This baked ham recipe is the perfect easy main dish to make during the hectic holiday season. It only takes 5 minutes of prep and just 5 simple ingredients. We love serving it for Christmas dinner or Thanksgiving dinner.
The best part about this recipe is the delicious glaze on top. It makes the meat extra juicy and flavorful. The outside gets nice and caramelized, while the inside stays moist and tender.
Baked ham glaze
This glaze is deliciously sweet and tangy, which compliments the ham perfectly. It caramelizes as it bakes in the oven, which adds a super delicious flavor.
- Honey: The honey adds to the sweetness of the glaze. You can substitute honey for maple syrup if you prefer maple flavor.
- Brown sugar: Light or dark brown sugar will both work. For a more subtle flavor, use light brown sugar. For a richer flavor, use dark brown sugar.
- Dijon mustard: The mustard helps balance out the sweetness with it’s tangy flavor. I like using dijon instead of yellow because it has a little less vinegar and adds some spice.
How to bake a ham
- POUR. Place the ham in a roasting pan or dutch oven cut side down. Then pour the pineapple juice (or orange juice) on top and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- GLAZE. While it cooks, whisk together the glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- BAKE. After 30 minutes has passed, remove from the oven and brush the glaze on top. Place back in oven for 30 minutes, then baste the ham with the juices. Baste every 15 to 20 minutes, for about 90 to 100 minutes total. It will be done when the internal temperature reaches 140°F.
- SLICE. Remove from oven and let rest in pan for about 10 minutes. Then slice and enjoy!
- I’ve had the best luck with purchasing a whole ham at Costco.
- Baste the ham several times while baking to ensure the meat doesn’t dry out.
- Bump up the heat during the last 10 minutes of cooking if you’d like to crisp the outer edges.
- Let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing to keep it moist and juicy.
One of my favorite things about making a big baked ham for the holidays is having leftovers. Fill up another plate with your favorite leftover sides, make a big ham sandwich or use it to make any of the recipes below. You can repurpose your leftovers to make breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- ham and bean soup
- ham and cheese sliders
- creamy ham and potato soup
- ham and cheese quiche
- homemade stromboli
- cheesy ham and broccoli frittata
- egg white muffins
- ham and cheese crepes
Favorite sides for serving:
- Creamy mashed potatoes
- Green beans
- Macaroni and cheese
- Cream corn casserole
- Cheesy scalloped potatoes
Oven Baked Ham
- 7-10 pound bone-in spiral ham
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice (or orange juice)
- 1/2 cup honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the ham from the wrapper and discard glaze packet. Then spray a non stick spray into shallow roasting pan or dutch oven and place the ham in cut side down.
- Pour the juice over top of the ham and then cover tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- After 30 minutes, brush over the top of the ham. Bake again for 30 minutes and then baste the ham with the juices. Repeat every 15-20 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 140°F. Plan for about 90-100 minutes cook time. The last 10 minutes the ham is cooking you can turn the heat to 425°F if you'd like to caramelize it a little more.
- Remove from the oven and let set 10 minutes. Slice off the bone and serve warm.