Christmas stovetop potpourri simmers in a pot on the stove with fresh oranges, cranberries and cinnamon sticks and the aroma makes your home smell like the holidays! It’s perfect for gifting and I’ve included a free printable gift tag.
Table of Contents
Stovetop Simmer Pot
This stovetop potpourri is the perfect neighbor gift idea for the holiday season. It’s inexpensive and super easy to make with only 5 simple ingredients. Your neighbors will love how festive it looks and smells!
This potpourri recipe is so easy, too! Just put the ingredients in a pot and simmer on low for a couple hours. The simmering smells of oranges, cranberries and cinnamon sticks during the holidays will make your home feel so cozy and inviting.
Stovetop Holiday Potpourri Ingredients
Below are my favorite ingredients to use when making Christmas potpourri. It will make the house smell amazing!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Fresh cranberries: This popular holiday fruit adds a vibrant red color and sweet scent.
- Orange slices: Fresh citrus slices add a bright and refreshing aroma.
- Cinnamon sticks: A warm and cozy spice that’s perfect for the holidays.
- Cloves: These smell just like Christmas!
- Nutmeg: Spicy, sweet and earthy. A little goes a long way!
- Optional: Add a sprig of fresh rosemary or a few trimmings from your tree!
You can add also add ingredients based on the season, such as apples during the fall, lemons, vanilla extract, fresh ginger, bay leaf, whole allspice and more.
How to Make Stovetop Potpourri
- Combine the oranges, cranberries, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in a small pot.
- Simmer over low heat for as long as desired. Add more water if the mixture gets low.
- Enjoy the holiday scent as this stovetop potpourri recipe fills your house!
You can also cook potpourri in your slow cooker if preferred. Simply add the ingredients to the bottom of the crockpot, then cook on low for as long as desired. Add more water if the mixture gets low.
The Perfect Holiday Gift
This potpourri makes the perfect gift for friends and neighbors! Just put all the ingredients in a mason jar or cellophane bag (minus the water), along with this free printable tag that explains the cooking instructions.
Then they can keep it in the fridge for a day or two until they are ready to use it. Perfect easy homemade gift idea for the holidays!
Potpourri is a mixture of spices and fruit that is used for scent. It can be in dry form, which typically includes dried flowers, herbs and spices. It can also be made by simmering the mixture on the stove. It’s often made around the holidays or to match the season.
It can be simmered for hours and hours over a few days! Just check on the water every 1-2 hours to ensure the pot doesn’t go dry and refrigerate it overnight.
As long as you store it in the refrigerator you put together the potpourri gift bags or jars up to a week in advance.
More Holiday Gift Ideas
- Small pot
- ⅔ cup fresh cranberries , more if desired
- 1 orange , sliced (or dried oranges)
- 4 cinnamon sticks , broken in half
- 1 Tablespoon cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2-3 cups water , could do half apple cider
Optional: Sprig of fresh rosemary or pine and star anise
- Gather the fresh cranberries, orange and spices and place into a small pot. You may also add a sprig of fresh rosemary or fresh pine for color. Pour water on top.
- Simmer over low heat for as long as desired. You can also place the ingredients in your crockpot on low. Add more water if it gets low.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!