Layered cookie mix in a jar recipe that makes the perfect homemade Christmas gifts. These are always a big hit! Free printable tag and instructions included.
This post is sponsored by Kroger
I’ve shared plenty of mason jar gifts before, but this mason jar cookie mix has to be my sweetest one yet. Now I know the Christmas cookie jar gift idea isn’t anything new… these have been around ever since I can remember. However, I can’t believe I’ve never shared my favorite recipe for them. I love to make them this time of year. I’ve tested this recipe for M&M cookies quite a few times to get the right proportions and these truly are some of my favorite cookies. I adapted them from my favorite m&m cookies (if you just want the cookie recipe). I’ve also included darling free printable tags that are perfect for gift giving.
This is the perfect gift to give to neighbors, teachers, friends and families. These jars are great because the receiver can keep them in their pantry for whenever they’re wanting a shortcut to homemade cookies or the craving hits. They’re also perfect for making on Christmas Eve… because rumor has it…they are Santa’s favorite cookies. ;)
Tips for making a cookie mix in a jar
- Use a funnel to put the flour into the jar
- Use a spoon to flatten down the ingredients and create a nice line
- You can also tap the jar on the counter to flatten the ingredients
- Make sure to pack the ingredients tight, so they all fit
- To add a more decorative touch cut out a 6-inch piece of fabric and place between the lid
For this recipe I used all my favorite ingredients from Kroger. This time of year I have found myself using ClickList for online grocery shopping. The stores get busy and it’s so nice to do all my shopping online and then just pull up to Kroger and have them load them into my van. It’s always hard getting little ones out in the cold weather as well, so it’s nice to stay in our warm car. It is pretty much been a lifesaver for me and I recommend it to everyone!
M&M cookie recipe
Cookie mix in a jar
To put in quart sized jar:
- 1 1/2 cup flour (plus 1 Tablespoon)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 5 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup M&M's (more or less as needed to fill jar)
Need to add to mix:
- 1/2 cup butter (slightly melted and cooled)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Clean and dry quart sized mason jar. Using a funnel or spoon add the flour, baking soda and salt. Tap on counter to level. Then spoon in the brown sugar and press down the edges with spoon. Next add the sugar. Then add the chocolate chips and M&M’s. Seal jar.
- When getting ready to bake preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter, egg and vanilla. Then dump the jar ingredients and stir until combined. Use hands if needed to combine mixture. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes for thicker cookies. Scoop the dough onto the pan using a large cookie scoop (or about 2 Tablespoons). Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are slightly crisp, yet still soft in the middle. Remove from pan to cooling rack.
Free printable tags for the cookie mix in a jar
- Download the FREE printable tags HERE.
Print on cardstock paper with colored ink (or take to your local copy store) and then cut out tags. Tie the ‘Merry Christmas’ tag onto the top of the mason jar with bakers twine and then use glue or glue dots to adhere the instructions to the front of the jar. You could also tie the instructions on top along with the tag if you’d prefer.
I hope you enjoy this quick and adorable DIY Christmas gift idea. Come back throughout the month to find more ideas!
This post was brought to you by Kroger. Check out their website for more recipe inspiration and make sure to use the hashtag #25MerryDays when spreading holiday cheer this month!