Create an easy and delicious homemade Christmas gift with these layered cookie mix in a jar. These are always a big hit! Free printable tag and instructions included.
It’s no secret that cookies are one of my favorite things to bake and give. There’s nothing better than fresh baked desserts like these chocolate crinkle cookies, 7 layer bars or M&M cookie bars. Although sometimes it’s nice to make these mason jar cookies, so that friends and family can bake them when they’re reading to enjoy a treat.
We’ve shared plenty of mason jar gifts before like these peppermint brownie mix in a jar, but this mason jar cookie mix has to be my sweetest one yet.
Now I know the Christmas cookie jar gift idea isn’t anything new… these have been around ever since I can remember. However, I can’t believe I’ve never shared my favorite recipe for them. I love to make them this time of year.
I’ve tested this recipe for M&M Christmas cookies quite a few times to get the right proportions and these truly are some of my favorite cookies. I adapted them from my favorite m&m cookies (if you just want the cookie recipe). I’ve also included darling free printable tags that are perfect for gift giving.
How to make cookies in jar
This is the perfect gift to give to neighbors, teachers, friends and families. These jars are great because the receiver can keep them in their pantry for whenever they’re wanting a shortcut to homemade cookies or the craving hits. They’re also perfect for making on Christmas Eve… because rumor has it…they are Santa’s favorite cookies. ;)
- Star with a quart sizes mason jar.
- Print the recipe below and then layer the flour, baking and salt using a spoon or funnel.
- Next layer the brown sugar and sugar.
- Finally add the chocolate chips and M&M
- Seal with a lid.
Tips for making a cookie mix in a jar
- Make sure you are using a clean and DRY jar. You do not want there to be any water in there.
- Try using a funnel to easily put the flour into the jar.
- Tap the jar on the counter to flatten the ingredients
- Use a spoon to flatten down the ingredients and create a nice line.
- Make sure to pack the ingredients tight, so they all fit.
- To add a more decorative touch, cut out a 6-inch piece of fabric and place between the lid
Free printable tags
Print on cardstock paper with colored ink (or take to your local copy store) and then cut out tags. Tie the ‘Merry Christmas’ tag onto the top of the mason jar with bakers twine and then use glue or glue dots to adhere the instructions to the front of the jar. You could also tie the instructions on top along with the tag if you’d prefer.
More great Christmas cookies
M&M cookies in a jar
To put in quart sized jar:
- 1 1/2 cup flour (plus 1 Tablespoon)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 5 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup M&M's (more or less as needed to fill jar)
Need to add to mix:
- 1/2 cup butter (slightly melted and cooled)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Clean and dry quart sized mason jar. Using a funnel or spoon add the flour, baking soda and salt. Tap on counter to level. Then spoon in the brown sugar and press down the edges with spoon. Next add the sugar. Then add the chocolate chips and M&M’s. Seal jar.
- When getting ready to bake preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter, egg and vanilla. Then dump the jar ingredients and stir until combined. Use hands if needed to combine mixture. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes for thicker cookies. Scoop the dough onto the pan using a large cookie scoop (or about 2 Tablespoons). Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are slightly crisp, yet still soft in the middle. Remove from pan to cooling rack.
I hope you enjoy this quick and adorable DIY Christmas gift idea. Come back throughout the month to find more ideas!