Fresh oranges, cranberries and cinnamon sticks simmer on the stove to create an amazing aroma that’s perfect for the holidays. This Christmas stovetop potpourri will have your house smelling warm and inviting in no time!
Table of Contents
DIY Stovetop Potpourri
This is the perfect neighbor gift idea for the holiday season. It’s inexpensive, super easy to throw together and requires only 5 simple ingredients. Your neighbors will love how festive it looks and smells!
This stovetop potpourri is one of my favorite smells during the holidays! I love the combination of oranges, cranberries and cinnamon sticks. The simmering smells during the holidays just cant be beat and make your home feel so cozy and inviting.
The best part about this potpourri recipe is that it’s super easy to make. Just put the ingredients in a pot and simmer on low for a couple hours. Trust me…your house will smell amazing! I’ll definitely have a pot on my stove for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Bring on the holidays!
What is Potpourri?
Potpourri is a mixture of spices and fruit that is used for scent. It can be in dry form, which typically includes dried flowers, herbs and spices. It can also be made by simmering the mixture on the stove. It’s often made around the holidays or to match the season.
Below are my favorite ingredients to use when making Christmas potpourri. You can add ingredients based on the season, such as apples, lemons, vanilla extract, etc.
- Fresh cranberries: This popular holiday fruit adds a vibrant red color and sweet scent.
- Orange slices: Fresh citrus slices add a bright and refreshing aroma.
- Cinnamon sticks: A warm and cozy spice that’s perfect for the holidays.
- Cloves: These smell just like Christmas!
- Nutmeg: Spicy, sweet and earthy. A little goes a long way!
Optional: Add a sprig of fresh rosemary or a few trimmings from your tree!
How to Make Stovetop Potpourri
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Combine the oranges, cranberries, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in a small pot.
- Simmer over low heat for as long as desired. Add more water if the mixture gets low.
- Enjoy the holiday scent!
You can also cook potpourri in your slow cooker if preferred. Simply add the ingredients to the bottom of the crockpot, then cook on low for as long as desired. Add more water if the mixture gets low.
The Perfect Holiday Gift
This potpourri makes the perfect gift for friends and neighbors! Just put all the ingredients in a jar or cellophane bag (minus the water), along with this free printable tag that explains the cooking instructions. Then they can keep it in the fridge for a day or two until they are ready to use it. Perfect easy homemade gift idea for the holidays!
More Holiday Gift Ideas
- Small pot
- ½ cup fresh cranberries , more if desired
- 1 orange , sliced
- 4 cinnamon sticks , broken in half
- 1 Tablespoon cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2-3 cups water
Optional: Sprig of fresh rosemary
- Gather the fresh cranberries, orange and spices and place into a small pot. You may also add a sprig of fresh rosemary if desired. Pour water on top.
- Simmer over low heat for as long as desired. You can also place the ingredients in your crockpot on low. Add more water if it gets low.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!